New here and I need some advice on a repair issue.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by 904Madtrucker, Jun 26, 2019.

1. 904Madtrucker

904Madtrucker Bobtail Member

Jun 26, 2019
    I have been having a problem with my hubs over heating. My 2014 Great Dane has been in the shop for three weeks now. Every time they say its ready I pick it up for test drive only to find out that the hubs are still over heating.

work done so far:
    new brake shoes and drums both axles
    new cam bushings both axles
    brake adjustments several times
    backing nut off to take pressure of bearings
    repacking axles with grease
    bearings checked -good
    spindle checked -good
    s cam checked -good

From what I can tell it seams to be a shoe rubbing issue. I noticed uneven where of shoes. Also the shoes seam to be wearing faster on the edges then the middle of shoe. Also also did a brake adjustment myself. In fact I backed them off completely on one hub just to see if it would heat up on a test drive. I stop and checked them after 5 miles. Hubs hot again and the brake shoes that I backed off were sitting on the drum again.

Has anyone come across this problem before? Any advice would be appreciated. I'm at a loss here. Great Dane can't seem to figure it out either.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    How hot is hot? Like, can't touch the hub? It seems that would take a seal out. Hubs, especially when loaded, will get warm.

4. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Are the brakes dragging and making the hubs hot....?

If so check the diverter air valve that splits the air up at the axles. If it’s full of corrosion the brakes would be starving for air.......

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  5. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    That sounds like your slack adjusters are shot. My 16' truck has the supposed greaseless slack adjusters, and they don't work. The need zerks and grease.

But anyway, if backed the brakes off manually, and they are back rubbing on the drum, your slack adjusters are shot, and if you have the supposed maintenance free ones, get some you need to apply grease to every 15K or so. The maintenance free ones have places for zerks ( funny why would they do that right? ), but if yours are already shot, replace them, and go from there.

Dino soar and 201 Thank this.
  6. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Get yourself a lazer thermometer. Infra red. And measure before you say too hot. They may not be heating up like you think.

They do get warm when loaded

7. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    I drove a Mack dump truck, that one brake de-adjusted itself everytime I hit the brakes, so I suppose it could work the other way.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  8. 904Madtrucker

Jun 26, 2019

It would appear so but not both shoes seems to be either the top shoe or the bottom shoe. Is the diverter air valve easy to clean? Hate to give it back to the shop and loose another week.

9. 904Madtrucker

Jun 26, 2019
    Great Dane said my slack adjusters are good. Maybe i need to go get a second opinion at another shop. Talking to techs over the phone they say slack adjusters should ride shoes out not in when they go bad. My shoes keep going back in after every adjustment.

10. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    What's your location?

11. 904Madtrucker

Jun 26, 2019
    Techs keep telling me otherwise.... smh.

201 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.