New Here questions about TMC

Discussion in 'TMC' started by kavorka58, May 25, 2008.

1. kavorka58

kavorka58 Bobtail Member

May 24, 2008
    Redford,MI
    I guess you could call me a newbie. I just signed up at NuWay truck driving school in Livonia, MI.

I'm schedule to start in ten days. They told me at this particular school that only one if four are accepted for the program. Not too sure how true that is. They called me a "Boy Scout". So I guess I'm a Boy Scout newbie.

Anyway, I am finding that answers to the questions I ask people are vague and usually different.

I've been reading your forum and it seems to me that I could probably get a good handle and possibly a straight answer from you all.

Right now I have two very simple questions/concerns.

Realisitically what should I expect to make in income my first six months to a year? And will that pay vary from week to week? In other words what consistency, if any can I depend on?

I am leaning towards percentage based pay and regional driving so that I can hopefully get back on some weekends to see my family.

Any feedback would be very much appreciated.

This is one of the biggest decisions of my life.

thanks
    kavorka

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    Well, you need a handle. You are thinking about going over to the dark side, sooo how about fallen angel?:biggrin_25523: Welcome to the site, even if you are considering the bad guys!:biggrin_25523:

4. kavorka58

kavorka58 Bobtail Member

May 24, 2008
    Redford,MI

Ok, this is gonna be easy, just call me Vader :evil2:

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. My wife and I have done a lot of research in the last week, and my first choice by far, was going to be Maverick for many reasons. But since I am a poor boy I am almost certainly going to have to go for the tuition reimbursement. As I understand it, Maverick does not do reimbursement.
    Now, besides the other questions I had posted, I wonder this: Since I assume I would make more money at Maverick and be with a more desirable company, would I make enough to cover the $150 a week I would have to pay back for the loan on my own?

thanks again,
    vader

5. terrylamar

terrylamar Road Train Member

Oct 8, 2006
    Austin, TX
    While I have no problems with Maverick at all I think you are making few assumptions not based on facts. I do not think Maverick is a better company than TMC. In fact, I would rate them as almost equals. I would give the edge to TMC, but I work for TMC so I am biased. There may be some small thing that TMC is better at than Maverick and others that Maverick is better at. If it were a horse race it would be a photo finish. You won't go wrong working for either company. Without question they are the top two flatbedding companies and third place is quite a distance behind.

If Maverick does not reimburse tuition that is one on the plus side for TMC. They do reimburse, depending on the school at $100.00, $125.00 or $150.00. I can't tell you what the difference in the school is, but, evidently TMC thinks some schools are better than others. TMC will reimburse the full cost of tuition and will even reimburse you if TMC is the second company you have worked for. Always call a recruiter to get the details and find out if your's is an approved school.

I have heard the comment a couple of times that Maverick drivers make more than TMC drivers. This is just not true. Everything I have seen and read, again it is almost equal with the edge to TMC, a very small edge. There are some areas where Maverick might make more and other areas where TMC might make more. To tell the truth, I don't think there is much of a difference that I would base my decission on pay.

Maverick trainees will make more in orientation and in training than TMC, but generally wait longer to go to orientation. There have been some Maverick drivers posting that they are going to orientation quickly now. In the past I have seen waits of weeks and months. If that is the case, clearly going with TMC will make you more money because while Maverick wannabes are still waiting for the call you have finished your training and have been assigned your own truck and are making the big bucks!:biggrin_25525:

TMC is a larger company, almost twice the size of Maverick. I'm not putting any value on this one, that can be good or bad. TMC has been around since 1972 with continueous growth and stability since then. We have over 3,000 driver and almost that many power units.

I went with TMC and I am happy I did so. Nevertheless, if something happened Maverick would be my number one backup. I would just be sure to stock up on flea powder and bannanas!

6. kavorka58

kavorka58 Bobtail Member

May 24, 2008
    Redford,MI

Thanks for all the info.This will definitly help when it comes time to choose.Since you work for TMC was your first years pay consistent from week to week? Is it ever consistent? Also do you have any idea as to how much I am looking to gross? I know the recruiters will promise me money that though possible, is most likely not reasonable. I am thinking percentage pay looks like the best way to go. I was also wondering. Do most drivers drive during night or day? Also if I may ask. What inyour opinion is the only way to make good pay and still get home most weekends? Once again thanks for letting me pick your brain.

kavorka

7. terrylamar

Oct 8, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Pay is somewhat consistent from week to week, you will alway have your highs and lows, good weeks and bad. That is the nature of the business. If you are from Michigan that will be a good area, except weather will affect you in the Winter.

If you are a hard worker and do everthing you can to play the system to your benifit you will gross $45,000 on the low end to $55,000 on the high. With some luck, including a good Fleet Manager you can go to $60,000 and over.

In the Midwest and East percentage is the way to go. I, also, think that percentage is the way to go in your first year. You are at a distinct disadvantage until you get your first year in. Inexperienced drivers start at $.30 per mile, it goes up to $.32 at six months and to $.38 at a year. It does go up with additional years. You also get various bonuses such as fuel, out of route and miles driven during the month.

With percentage it is possible to make as much as an experienced driver after only one month, or I should say your first snapshot. A snapshot is where they take your performance for the last month to figure your pecentage. You will start at 23% for your first month, usually most drivers will go to 27% to 28%. You can make it to 29% to 30% with some hard work. 31% to 32% requires hard work, experience, a good FM, good economy and some luck. You tend to get a higher percentage on Long Haul, though there are numerous drivers getting it on Line Haul.

Drivers will drive both night and day, whatever it takes to get the job done. You are somewhat limited to when you get loaded and your hours. We all have our preferences as to when we drive. I prefer driving during the day, missing rush hour traffic and getting to a truck stop somewhat early so I can get a parking space. During the Winter, definitely drive during the day and during the Summer, same thing, drive when it is hot and you can run your AC to cut down on idle time. We all have our strategies, you will find what is best for you with experience. I recommend working hard during the week, if you are Line Haul, getting to your consignee during the night and camping out at his location. The advantage here is that you get unloaded early and have a better chance a good freight for your next load. You will be on the board earlier than the driver that took his time and delivered after you. This is not always the case. There is no way to anticipate the exceptions. Usually, brokers dump loads about 0800. This will be what the load planners will be working with at first. Frequently, there are other loads that come availiable at other times and if you are in the right place at the right time you will get it. Also, a good relationship with your Fleet Manager helps. He can choose to give you the first available load or give you a choice. If you are experience enough you might select you load based not only on pay, but how much you have to work, miles to drive and the area you are delivering to and the loads coming out of that area.

Almost, all Line Haul drivers get home for the weekend. There are some exceptions and it is all base on available freight and your available hours. Your FM will do his best to get you home when you want to be home.

As far as making good pay, develope a good working relationship with your Fleet Manager, he can make or break you. Work hard. Learn your profession. Learn the system you are working under and make it work for you.

Last edited: May 26, 2008
    NukedNative Thanks this.
  8. Blackwolf

Blackwolf Bobtail Member

May 17, 2008
    Bryan Tx
    Terrylamar
    How ya doing my name is Melvin S all my buddies call my Wolf I live in Bryan Tx. GiG Em Ags. I've worked for Coca Cola for almost 10 years and it is now time for me to move around. I would like to pick your brain for a lil bit about TMC if you dont mind. I tried to PM u but they said I'm too young to PM I have to have at least 50 post to PM. Do you mind talking to me.

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2008
  9. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    Don't pick his brain too much... he needs all that he has.....:biggrin_2559: Now me you can pick away> I got brains to spare! LOL

10. terrylamar

Oct 8, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Well, I'm a graduate of The Univerisity of Texas at Austin and the gig'em aggies comment didn't do your case any good!:biggrin_2553: But, no I don't mind talking to you, I'll try to use little words and speak real slow.:biggrin_25519: I don't think I am allowed to post my email here. So my IP is AOL. I'm sure an aggie can figure out how to email me. You have all the info you need.

11. terrylamar

Oct 8, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I think you are confusing brains with fleas.:biggrin_25523:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.