New high security drivers license

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Steel Dragon, Apr 2, 2018.

  1. woolybully35us

    woolybully35us Light Load Member

    Mar 13, 2015
    Kansas has new one also. Thanks to the terrorist
    Steel Dragon Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

    Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

    Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

  3. realbigaaron987

    realbigaaron987 Bobtail Member

    Oct 21, 2014
    I wonder if I can gain access with military ID
    Steel Dragon Thanks this.
  4. Steel Dragon

    Steel Dragon Road Train Member

    Nov 23, 2015
    Whatever you do..dont forget your

  5. 25(2)+2

    25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

    Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    You have to have a certified copy of your birth certificate, available at the county recorder here, in the county of your birth to renew your cdl.

    Just need social security card and 2 current invoices with the physical address of your residence in addition to that for enhanced license. No extra cost for the star, but they charge for the copy of the birth certificate, cost varies, I've heard 20 dollars or more in Iowa.

    My last license from 5 years ago was first a paper copy with the permanent license mailed. The paper copy has a 30 day expiration.

    States that aren't doing this, with no plans for adopting it, are making it harder for their residents to travel by air.

    Bureaucratic creep is how I see it.
    Steel Dragon Thanks this.
  6. Studebaker Hawk

    Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

    Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    These requirements have been in the works since 9/11 when they discovered all of the hijackers were able to get a drivers license in various states with easily forged documents. The Dept of Homeland Security gave the states 5 years to tighten up verifying the documents presented to get a drivers license. Some states complied immediately, It has been extended several times, but the Feds are not going to do anymore extensions, so the present licenses for about 10 states don't make the standard. The way they put pressure on the states was to make it miserable for their citizens, their DL was no longer acceptable identification to get on a plane as an example. Some of our drivers have problems getting onto military bases depending on the state they are licensed in. My Passport gets me through any of this.
    Steel Dragon Thanks this.
  7. Hoofbeats

    Hoofbeats Road Train Member

    Jan 27, 2010
    The states that are getting the new driver"s license were behind the curve. They were giving driver's license to anyone.
    Studebaker Hawk and Steel Dragon Thank this.
  8. ZVar

    ZVar Road Train Member

    Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    It's called Real ID act. It was mandated back in 2005, but not all states are in compliance yet. Here is a link that talks about it.
    Steel Dragon Thanks this.
  9. Justrucking2

    Justrucking2 Road Train Member

    Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Michigan has had these for a few years, an "Enhanced" license. I'm on my second one. Works as a passport too to certain locals. Not everywhere, but it got me on the Oasis of the Seas and all over the Caribbean. ;-)

    Good for Canada and Mexico along S America if I remember correctly.
    Steel Dragon Thanks this.
  10. mustang190

    mustang190 Road Train Member

    Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    Yes you can. I showed them my retired military ID and they waved me right thru the last time.
    Steel Dragon Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

    Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

    Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

  • Draft saved Draft deleted