New HOS posted today

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by DUNE-T, May 14, 2020.

1. TheLoadOut

TheLoadOut Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2019
    So is this what they gathered from all of their listening sessions and comments they requested from professional drivers?

Opus and JC1971 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Before the 14 hour rule it was easy to claim almost no on-duty time. Some drivers would claim almost every non-driving time as off-duty. You could wait all day at a customer. If you did that you could START driving late at night even though you have been up all day being jerked around by cistomers.

NHTSA & FMCSA noticed a higher rate of crashes late at night/ early morning due to fatigue. The 14 hour clock puts a limit on how long you can be delayed and delayed until you are required to have an 8 hour or 10 hour break. Your 14 hour clock lets you blame the HOS for needing a rest instead of being put on the spot because you need rest.

Before the 14 hour clock nobody was talking about how great the HOS were. Drivers were witching & moaning just like they do now.

tommymonza, Dale thompson and Brandt Thank this.
  4. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH

:cheers::hello1:

5. MericanMade

MericanMade Heavy Load Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Pensacola, FL
    jamespmack Thanks this.
  6. FearTheCorn

FearTheCorn Medium Load Member

Jan 6, 2019
    Omaha
    You know what? I kinda like working an under 14 hour day. I make plenty of money keeping to non slave labor. I don't understand why drivers get boners about the idea of working themselves to death. Keep it easy, keep it relaxed, keep it peace.

7. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    well, duh!

What this change gives you is a chance to hit your unloading appointment at 1:30 am, and then hit the hay again for four hours. No penalty to your 14.

Or, on a late dispatch for a 600 mile run, you can drive until you’re tired at midnight, sack out for 7 hours, and still hit your 9 am appointment, legally. Three more hours for lunch, and you’ve got a fresh clock. Doesn’t that sound more relaxed than pushing yourself through the dead hours around 2 am?

This set of rules gives way more opportunity to stop and eat, shower, nap, do laundry, exercise, smell the roses, surprise the girlfriend, or look up an old high school buddy. That darn 14 is not quite as much of a tyrant anymore.

Snailexpress and Nostalgic Thank this.
  8. FearTheCorn

FearTheCorn Medium Load Member

Jan 6, 2019
    Omaha
    I see what you are saying. I hope it works out.

9. Nostalgic

Nostalgic Road Train Member

Mar 6, 2017
    PA
    Nice examples. My only question is: If you pull over and say hit sleeper for 5 hours, does the 14 hour clock start back up after 3 hours SB, or does it stay paused? Sometimes 2 or 3 hours just isn't enough, but due to scheduling, you don't have time for 7 or 8. Either way, the new rules are a lot more flexible for my scenario, and should eliminated 99% of my gripes on that ###### 14 hour clock...

Accidental Trucker Thanks this.
  10. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    All for the same pay. Sounds fantastic!!!

11. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    I don't know for sure, but the wording seems to be "at least", so I assume as an example that a 5 and a 7 will count as a break and stop the 14 as well.

You're spot on that this removes a lot of the problems with the 14, and allows drivers to rest more when they need it.

Yeah, for the same pay, but iI I can sleep for 7 hours when I need to sleep rather than push through all night, I'm going to count that as a win....

MGE Dawn, Nostalgic and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.