New Hotshoter - PNW

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Trident39, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Trident39

Trident39 Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2019
    Hi Everyone, I am an aspiring new business owner/operator in the hotshot field that will be utilizing a heavy duty pickup/trailer combination. I've been thinking about making the career change for a few months now, taking baby steps so that I can research every aspect of this new endeavor for myself.

I have several years operations experience doing a little bit of everything for a large transportation company but got tired of sitting behind a desk all the time taking orders from "the man". The idea of being a long haul driver has always been appealing to me, since a kid, but ever since I learned about hotshoting it felt more my style.

So far I have achieved the following:

-Researched the prices of pickups (Going for a 2013+ Ram 3500 Cummins with Aisin transmission)
    -Researched the price of trailers (Big Tex gooseneck 30+ feet)
    -Obtained insurance coverage quotes
    -Established my business with the state (Oregon)
    -Completed my DOT exam
    -Completed the DMV hazmat endorsement
    -In the process of liquidating some assets to have some emergency funds saved up

Tomorrow I will be taking my general knowledge test to obtain my Class A CDL learners permit so that I can haul over 26,000 lbs. (After successfully completing the DMV drive test).

The reason I joined this group is because I'd really like to pick the brains of people that haul in the Pacific Northwest. I intend to drive to all corners of Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Nevada, Utah, Arizona, B.C, and god forbidding, California. *WITHOUT a dispatcher*

If anybody would be willing to connect and help a noobie out I'd be more than happy to compensate them for their time. Sorry for the long post, as you can see I'm a little excited about getting started with this.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. npok

npok Light Load Member

Sep 26, 2015
  4. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    He is in your part of the country and knows the business.

5. Jim&Jay

Jim&Jay Bobtail Member

Jan 16, 2019
    I'm in the same boat as you. In the budding stages of hitting the road. I have been doing research for a couple months now too.
    I stumbled upon this forum about a week ago. The best thread I've found so far is:
    So you want to hot-shot? (Will be updated/edited frequently)
    It took a couple hours but it was well worth it. I read through the entirety of the thread....4ish years worth of conversation between the seasoned veterans and other new arrivals like us.
    It is invaluable to say the least. There are sections where it is just jibber jabber between people. Still not bad to read through!

Yelsew and flatbedcarrier Thank this.
  6. Trident39

Trident39 Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2019
    Thanks! I'll definitely check that out. I'm also a member on a Facebook hotshot group and some of the posts on there can be super depressing, humbling and straight out of this planet. There's a lot of variance in the kind of work you can find based on location. A lot of the threads where guys are struggling to stay located tend to have a theme in which they are generally located in cow field Kansas or Iowa.

I'll keep an eye out for @flatbedcarrier and hope to connect soon.

7. Miroh

Miroh Light Load Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Big Tex seems like a great company but they don't offer a lot. @flatbedcarrier I think was the one that told me about Load Trail trailers. They offer just about anything you could want. And they seem lower in price too. But, me not knowing what all I need, I went with a local manufacturer, Anderson Trailers. I got a 33+5 with mega ramps that i am picking up Saturday. The prices seem about the same with BigTex.

Also, dunno if you know this, there is a 65 foot law for just about every state that I have seen. I just got a 2018 Ram 3500 long box and I was going to go with a 40 foot trailer but I was over at 65 feet, 10 inches. Now granted, the chances of them pulling out a tape measure is probably slim but I didn't want to take that chance. So, I found Anderson made a 38 footer so I went with it =-)

8. Lite bug

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    Chances are not slim, that is their job. I have seen Flatbedcarrier advice to guys to have the neck cut to save the 40ft.

flatbedcarrier Thanks this.
  9. Miroh

Miroh Light Load Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Just going by what others tell me as I haven't actually hit the road with my set up yet. I tried to get Anderson Trailers to cut a foot or so off of the neck but they refused and I wasn't going to buy a 35 foot one and was about to continue my search but then the dealer told me they made a 38 foot one and I jumped on it. I liked the dealer because after I voiced my concerns of a 40 foot being too long, he let me back under it and we pulled out the tape measure and sure enough, too long.

Lite bug Thanks this.
  10. Lite bug

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    Way to go, double check everything. Now for the first few years while your MC number is new it will seem like every scale will check you out. That just comes with the territory. Once I was pulled in the scale in Tennessee, guy said when was the last time you was inspected, my reply was two days ago at this scale. He said did I inspect you?I knew it was him and still had the paperwork, I said is this your signature? He then says get out of here. Sometimes just how it is.

11. Miroh

Miroh Light Load Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Yeah, I have been warned that I am gonna be a target. I am glad that I had the means to buy everything new. Truck and Trailer. I just worry about the weight. I'm assuming the weight will be the total GVWR or the truck and trailer and focusing on the axles and what they are able to carry? I got into driving in 2015, went straight to Heartland Express and learned about weight. Then I drove for a local construction company that didn't have to worry about weight.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.