New May driver (I hope), orientation on the 18th

Discussion in 'May Trucking' started by Books, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Books

Books Bobtail Member

Jun 6, 2013
    Hey all, been looking at all the May stuff for a couple days, and I decided to just go with it (a few days? yeah I know it's crazy but I'm desperate for work here and they seem like a slightly better option than some other giant companies with 7 or 8 thousand trucks). Oddly enough May is one of like three companies that I haven't seen completely badmouthed everywhere by everyone so it seems like a good fit. I'm out of Maryland right now and they're taking me to Gary at some point. Anyone know any trainers out of Gary? Or what the facility's like? Or any advice for a n00b like yours truly? I hear it's not as good as it once was at May but to be honest everyone's quoting numbers for their gross that's a few thousand better than my old job so I'm not complaining about that...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MrMatt

MrMatt Light Load Member

Apr 22, 2013
    I would look around the north east for a company based out of there. you don't really want to get involved with mega fleets if possible. it will be a wise idea for you to drive orientation if you can. there's a company up in pa that hires students. may be closer for you. I think there on everytruckingjob.com

4. Blue02celi

Blue02celi Road Train Member

Aug 3, 2007
    Melbourne, FL
    you're out of maryland, is that where you plan on living? may doesnt let you take the truck home, unless something changed. but if they are hiring you out of there they must have some customer or something that they're gonna let you keep the truck at. sounds kinda strange tho

5. Books

Books Bobtail Member

Jun 6, 2013
    Actually I knew they didn't hire out of Maryland but called anyway because I'm trying to move to Indiana in the next few months (once I get a job and get caught up on bills and all). At first they did tell me they couldn't take me, but then they called back a half hour later saying that they'd take me on if I was okay leaving my truck in Delaware for home time. I live in Baltimore so it's not THAT big a trip (and honestly there's a dozen other places I'd rather have time off at than home anyway).

6. Blue02celi

Aug 3, 2007
    Melbourne, FL
    yeah you can request to take hometime at any of the terminals, I believe anyway, not that may has many choices, but your home address is always the same which is what I was wondering about

7. Books

Books Bobtail Member

Jun 6, 2013
    That's what I was hoping. Didn't reckon they were the most populous of terminals but as long as they've got something in the Fort Wayne area I'll be happy. Gary's close enough. Kind of.

8. Blue02celi

Aug 3, 2007
    Melbourne, FL
    out east its just pensacola FL, gary IN, and Denver (not really east but close enough for may lol)
    just be warned, that gary "terminal" is tiny

9. Efon

Efon Road Train Member

Jan 6, 2009
    Fort Collins, CO
    I've heard next will be Tennessee then perhaps Texas.

10. Blue02celi

Aug 3, 2007
    Melbourne, FL
    dude... how long have they been saying TN? years?

11. Efon

Efon Road Train Member

Jan 6, 2009
    Fort Collins, CO
    They just have to get Gary on track where Dan can open another one. His wife won't be happy about that though.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.