New O/O Is this deal OK??

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Lowgear, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Lowgear

Lowgear Bobtail Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Kenosha,Wi
    I am starting Mon. for orientation with Deboer. I heard OK things about them The starting per mile is .87cpm 100%feuel surcharge. Pluss .01cpm over 9,000
    .02cpm over 10,000 mile per mo. bonus. My bobtail ins. will go down to $30. mo. and I'm paying $100.00+ now. I have been a comp driver for another comp. and now baught my own truck now. They say I'll be out 7-10 days. I live in between Chicago and milwaukee so I'm hoping I'll be home more than what they say. I have a 3yr old boy. Luckily I found a 95 Inter with short sleeper. in great shape and only paid 17,000 for it for 3 yrs. I'm only going to keep it 1 yr and upgrade. I hear of guy saying you have to make $1.50 per mile to do good. But for leasing on is my deal OK.??Thnks fo any reply.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. redrocker1055

redrocker1055 Light Load Member

Nov 26, 2006
    michigan
    It sounds like an ok deal, but the problem is why settle for somthing you do not want..... You bought that truck to be your own boss, If you don't
    want to be out "7-10 days out" then find a company that has better, home time......you and your son, will be happier..
    As far as haveing to make $1.50 to make, It depends on you, The thing that makes me laugh the hardest, is when owner operaters complain about
    how they are not makeing enough money, it's aways the ones with the BIG W900L WITHE FULL FENDER'S 86' SLEAPERS,ENOGH LIGHTS TO LIGHT THE EASTERN SEA BOARD,bIG HOUSE AT HOME,FANCY CARS(WHICH THEY NEVER GET TO SEE), i don't feel sorry for them....You sound like you have a level head, based on the fact that you bought a used truck,which might make it harder to find a company(a lot of companies age restrictions on for tractors). as for the $1.50 that most of the time is only when loaded, would you rather make $1.50 only when loaded or $.89 for all miles? My dad has 7 trucks out of his fleet leased on as perentage drivers with two outside companies, thats another option you have, but you realy have to know what you are doing,to maxamize your profit's... hope this some what helpful... good luck

4. Lowgear

Lowgear Bobtail Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Kenosha,Wi
    That help thnx. My driving record sort of sucks as to a speeding in my pickup in august and accident on black ice in march. So I tried a better comp but their insurance wouldn't accept me. I fugure I'll be slowing down on my speed as an O/O which I want to anyway. I tried a local comp here but they only go back as far as 2001 for a tractor. That's why I plan on upgrading in a year. I have to keep my record clean and rough it out for a year or 2 then I'll have more of say so in where I go. And maybe get my own authority in time I just don't want to go overboard.
    Thnx.

5. redrocker1055

redrocker1055 Light Load Member

Nov 26, 2006
    michigan
    You are very smart, it took my dad 34 years to get close to the forty trucks he has, and that is exactly why He Took His Time....The tortis beats the hair, no matter how many times you read it... good luck!

6. buck and a half

buck and a half Mr. Miles & Miles with Many Smiles

Aug 11, 2006
    madison,me
    you really need to be out 7 to 10 days these days to run your own truck. you also want to get your own authority in the future so you can keep more of the revenue for yourself and come home when you want to. One thing I have always tried to do is get something for empty miles,at least the cpm it cost you to run your truck expenses. There are some companies paying 90 cpm on all miles and reimbursing your tolls also,and a fuel discount too. Where you live the tolls could kill alot of your profit. Good luck with your endeavor.

7. Burky

Burky Road Train Member

The question of whether or not is is a good deal comes down to your operating cost. If you can manage to keep your costs down enough, then you can make money. It's not the most lucrative deal out there, though it matches up fairly well with the standard deal that most of the van companies do. The two keys here are that the truck has to pay for itself, including putting away a maintenance fund for future expenses, and it has to actually pay you for your efforts, so that you and your family don't have to make box macaroni and cheese a staple in the household.

You have to have money put away for emergencies, and repairs. I have been on the phone lately with a driver who has a newer truck than yours, and he is spending about 700 per month on maintenance,and he has had one or two items that were still covered under warranty. So the expenses on an older tractor are going to be that much, and maybe more.

You need to look at the specifics of the deal, and find out exactly what they are paying for. A trip down 294 is going to run into 30 dollars, so the tolls are important, and some times the best route is through downtown and onto the skyway if you have to run Chicago. You need to know how they calculate the miles you run, and keep track of the miles you actually do run so you know what your costs actually are.

Bookkeeping is going to be critical, because that's the only way you will know if you are actually making enough money, or if you should get out of the truck and run as far and fast as you can. And you are going to have to economize as much as possible. Limit idling, keep the speed under control, and use all the fuel saving tricks you can since every drop comes out of your pocket.

8. chicago bear

chicago bear Bobtail Member

Oct 25, 2006
    what are you hauling?

9. RoadRocket

RoadRocket Bobtail Member

Jul 30, 2006
    L.A. = Lower Alabama

Do the math...... fuel is gonna cost you 50 cents a mile...... leaving 37 cents a mile = drivers wage. Wheres the money gonna come from to pay for everything else like truck payment,highway use tax, maintence & repairs, new set of tires every year, brakes every year, etc. etc etc...... Plus this guy is probably going to pay you in short miles @ 87 cents a mile... Thatsnot even in the ball park and i say NO DEAL

10. Unionjack

Unionjack Bobtail Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Nebraska City, NE
    .87 a mile? are you joking? What is the fuel surcharge? There are LOTS of companies that pay .92 a mile + FS.

I leased to Hill Brothers for 2 months and about went bankrupt at .88 a mile. They told me great stories of fuel surcharges and drop/hook and this and that... When it came down to it, I wasn't bringing anything home after my road expenses and truck payment ($1500 a month).

I would seriously suggest you look around. I'm coming out of being an independant O/O and found a few companies that pay $1.40 a mile to the truck. I need .75 a mile just to pay insurance, fuel, and food. That isn't including truck payment, house rent, utilities, and life.

Don't jump without investigating. You'll regret it.

11. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ

Hey UJ, How's it going? I see you found my new hang out!:thumbup:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.