New O/O with question about earning potential?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Coloradoman, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Coloradoman

Coloradoman Light Load Member

Aug 25, 2018
    I'm leased on to a smaller outfit out of Texas, I love in Colorado, I pick my own loads off of load boards. I know rates are low right now, but how do you get $6-$10k a week? Seems like I run hard as can be AMD get loads that are over $2 a mile but still dont seem like iam making enough money. I want to buy my own trailer and get my authority by next year, but seems like I'm having a hard time on this learning curve. I run a 48ft flat. Any tips would be welcomed with open arms.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Running of load boards in CO in the middle of the winter, you don't get $6-10k per week, unless stars align in a perfect way

TruckRunner and Coloradoman Thank this.
  4. Hayfieldmn

Hayfieldmn Light Load Member

Sep 10, 2016
    I'm down about 1500-2000 from were I was at this summer, I run a rgn, mostly oversize. I havent been in the game long but I expect it's always slow this time of the year. I'm at 2.60 on All Miles since may. So I'm pretty content.

Coloradoman Thanks this.
  5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Yeah it starts with you accounting for every little thing and start finding ways to control your expenses. This isn't what you want to hear but once you get this, you can maximize your profits. It isn't always what you make at the end of the week that counts, it is what you keep. Taxes aside, there is a lot of ways you need to get it together and move forward to getting that trailer and authority.

Also think about this - I make more money with leases than I do with my authorities per mile. It sounds like it should be the other way but when I factor in the time for the back office work done, it works out better to let someone else do that, especially when you are making good money with a lease.

Tug Toy and Coloradoman Thank this.
  6. Midnight_tim

Midnight_tim Light Load Member

Dec 19, 2018
    Sales - Profit = Expenses.

Put your profit aside first and learn to manage your expenses with that rather than trying to spend everything and hold onto what you have left. That's the best way to learn how to run your business (in my opinion). Move 5% of every load to a separate account and don't touch it and learn to work with the rest. If you find yourself needing that 5% try to find a way to work without it. If you can run for $1000 a load you can manage with $950.
    Start doing that now while you are leased on and when you go to your own authority you will be ready for the financial frustrations with your own authority.

Coloradoman Thanks this.
  7. Coloradoman

Aug 25, 2018
    Anything that could help me is something that I want to hear. I might need to find a better place to lease on with. I feel like I'm lossing more money than I should be with this company.

8. Buckeye 60

Buckeye 60 Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2018
    rates are not low there down from summer but still high .... Colorado is no place to get loads out of .. if you go there you have to make enough going to make it worth while ..

Coloradoman Thanks this.
  9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    OK I get that but here is what I actually do recommend BEFORE you even consider moving - research YOUR CHOSEN MARKET. This will give you a heads up to know where the freight is and the cycle of freight for that market.

ALSO thinking about your plight, you really need to know where you are having a bottle neck with finances, if you are not making it with $2 a mile, you have serious problems. So you got some good advice from a few of us.

Coloradoman Thanks this.
  10. Coloradoman

Aug 25, 2018
    I have been able to get $2-$2.50 going out, luckily.

11. tnpete

tnpete Medium Load Member

Jun 25, 2013
    Tn
    With a RGN you need to run where the work is. No issues living where you do. But may have to stay out say 2 or 3 weeks or more. Run where the loads are at. Then find a load back home. Stay in a few days, look for a load back out where the $$ is.
    Lot of Drivers live out your way. But run midwest to east where the money is at. Should be lots of RGN loads out of Ms. Going to Ok, In, Ks, OK. Then back that way, Know a few drivers that make there living on that route. Then get a load back home for a week. Then turn and burn back for a month or more.

DrDieselUSA and Coloradoman Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.