New oil and it is black already.

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Big John, Oct 30, 2011.

1. LBZ

LBZ Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Road to Nowhere
    I had a Duramax one ton & it never looked clean. Have a CAT C12 now with 2 oil filters & the oil will look clean to somewhere between 9-10,000 miles.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mastertech

Mastertech Staff Leader / Admin Staff Member Administrator

Dec 28, 2007
    3rd Rock From The Sun.
    Was the Lucas a synthetic oil stabilizer?

4. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Nothing to worry about. The oil is black with carbon and soot deposits. The oil is designed to grab and hold those contaminants to prevent the parts from developing gunk build up. As to why you saw more this time than last is tricky to answer. Maybe this time you just noticed differently, maybe the last interval the engine just developed more contaimnants then unsual, longer interval, more cold starts, more hours at a lower power output, who knows.... ISX engines actually have about 4 to 5 liters of oil inside the head and the small dip part of the oil pan that don't come out during an oil change. That oil will mix in with the new oil and turn it dark pretty quick.

Big John Thanks this.
  5. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    20,000 mile's betwwen oil interval's and YOU own the truck:biggrin_25524: ? You've got to be kidding..........maybe a fleet company but and owner/op,...... please..........:biggrin_25513:!!!

07-379Pete Thanks this.
  6. lostNfound

lostNfound Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Home of the Stampede
    I had the same experience recently as well. Two weeks ago I had a service done on a 2011 Cummins ISX and when I picked it up I checked to see that everything was done and the fluids were up. When I checked the oil it looked as black as when it went in and I said to my wife, "It almost looks like the didn't change it." They had, but I was surprised it was as black as it was.

Big John Thanks this.
  7. dave26027

dave26027 Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Dallas, Texas
    Hey John- I'll bet your motor was cool when you drained the oil. More oil stays in the block if it's drained cool. And the Lucas won't help it drain any faster- I pour one gallon of fuel in the crankcase with the engine running at oil changes, let it idle for about 5 mins and drain it. Fuel is a good solvent and it'll thin the oil out better so most of it drains.

Nothing to worry about though, it only takes a tiny bit of old oil to color the new oil black.

Wiseguywireless and Big John Thank this.
  8. Starline

Starline Medium Load Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Middle Tn
    Are you really willing to mess with your oil in a $20,000 engine ?

Today's oil is highly balanced and adding stuff to it only diminishes what it is designed to do.
    To be honest, i never heard so much bad advice as I have in this tread.

You want to clean your oil ?
    Add / install a by pass filter system.
    Spinner are nice to remove soot from your oil, I use Amsoil bypass filter system.

Personally I would be worried if my oil wasn't black.

Idling is what you should be worried about, not the color of your oil.

Big John Thanks this.
  9. milskired

milskired Road Train Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Plainfield, IL
    If it is synthetic that would be ok but a conventional should be 10k miles 12K miles TOPS!

Diesel Dave Thanks this.
  10. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Rotella 15-40 is NOT synthetic..........

11. milskired

milskired Road Train Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Plainfield, IL
    Yeah I know I was just saying that if it was synthetic it would be fine but it is not.

Diesel Dave Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.