New or used car hauling?

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by MooneyBravo, Dec 17, 2019.

1. MooneyBravo

MooneyBravo Heavy Load Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Vermilion, Oh
    I've been doing car hauling on and off since 2002. Done some piggybacking in between and work for my church moving household goods from 2008 through 2011. A friend of mine who has been doing this consistently for the last 30 years and used to work where I work moved on to another job and he seems to be making way better money. He was telling me that the new car transport is not as lucrative as it used to be because everyone keeps playing Cutthroat with each other and the manufacturers are taking advantage of it all. He said that hauling used cars pays better then new cars right now.

He said that it all goes through a cycle and is like a rollercoaster. One day new cars is the place to be and then another year it's all in used cars.

Is this true?
    Is hauling used cars where it's at right now?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    If you independent - up to you . Some people hate POV , some people hate salvage auctions , some people dont like new cars because they are not careful enough or lack of experience and tiny scratch will cost a fortune in this case . I was moving povS at one period and loved it - flexible delivery , even 11pm sometimes , mostly cash , another period salvage cars - had dedicated account - check on delivery all the time , lease return or used dealer cars nice to drop after hours with many people i was working . Just think for urself , area you are , timeframe you wanna work etc
    Cant tell you new cars experience - never had one

4. Kawinige01

Kawinige01 Heavy Load Member

May 30, 2016
    South Fla
    Well i think a good mix of both definitely helps. A lot of the bigger companies in my area seem to haul a decent amount of used freight. At least to get to their freight. Majority of my work is used cars.

5. Kawinige01

Kawinige01 Heavy Load Member

May 30, 2016
    South Fla
    What @pavrom is saying About the used cars. At least to me the delivery and pick up hours are more flexible.

6. 1nicevette

1nicevette Medium Load Member

Dec 22, 2016
    I enjoy pov’s and inop I really don’t like new cars at all can’t stand wasting my time waiting for some one to check in the car or truck and can’t stand some dealers that only want you there at a certain time and then cry when you show up at that time. Give me an inop that I have to winch up on my trailer any day.

7. Nobroker

Nobroker Medium Load Member

Jul 1, 2016
    Generally rates depend on how fast they need them moved there are very few dealers/brokers that consistently pay a fair rate. The only consistant rates are the low ballers. Hauling new cars generally requires higher cargo ins. and newer equipment that current rates dont justify the upgrade.

8. MooneyBravo

Feb 20, 2012
    Vermilion, Oh
    Wow! Never been to any dealers like that. The only gripe that I might here now and then is that they don't allow STI. That depends on what part of the country you're delivering.

interpreter Thanks this.
  9. 1nicevette

1nicevette Medium Load Member

Dec 22, 2016
    Spradly ford in Cheyenne, Wyoming the guy that checks them in always wants you to be there in the morning

MooneyBravo Thanks this.
  10. jeffman164

jeffman164 Medium Load Member

Dec 4, 2012
  11. MooneyBravo

Feb 20, 2012
    Vermilion, Oh
    Subject to inspection. Many dealerships, whether you're delivering new or used cars will allow what is called STI. That means you can drop off after hours, lock up the vehicles and drop the keys in the Service drop box and go about your business without having to wait for the customer to open up the following morning or past the weekend. That's one of the good things about car hauling compared to other kinds of freight. You also don't need appointments when it comes to delivering vehicles.

interpreter Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.