New or used truck

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by flatbedrunner, Jun 9, 2013.

1. flatbedrunner

flatbedrunner Bobtail Member

Jun 29, 2011
    rock falls, il
    I am getting up ther on miles 980,000 on a 05 Columbia Mercedes. No problems yet its been a great truck. So I need to make a decision. I have never bought new but think about it. I am worried that if I get a new truck and the thing breaks down now I have a huge payment and repair bills... Was your guys thoughts???

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. marmonman

marmonman Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2009
    central illinois
    I would never buy a new truck even a new pickup truck ! But then I have felt the need to have the newest anything . I am a fan of keeping what I got till it is of no use to anyone !! LOL I will always rebuild my engine at least once my tranny and rears I just swap for remans once and by the time I wear them all out again I am getting tired of that old Marmon and I buy another used one .......but since I cant get one any newer than mine now I will just keep out of cali and keep on trucking in my old Marmon until one of us hits the bone yard for good

4. leftlanetruckin

leftlanetruckin Road Train Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Mo Via Blackpool,Lancs.
    Different circumstances dictate different answers.
    No one answer fits all.

Martin

5. MNdriver

MNdriver Road Train Member

Feb 24, 2012
    I think of that every day I walk out to my 07 Century.....

When is the right point to replace it?

at 782K miles, I can't say right now. I have too much into her to get rid of it. But haven't been buried yet with an engine and tranny/clutch either....

I would lean towards keeping this truck and ask you what you'd gain going to a new truck?

What's your current fuel mileage? Can you get that or significantly better from a new truck ? I am thinking 2.5 or 3 mpg better type improvement.

6. flatbedrunner

flatbedrunner Bobtail Member

Jun 29, 2011
    rock falls, il
    Mpg 6.2 as of last month pullin flat. I just wonder if you buy a new truck will you save on downtime and repairs. And if you do save is it enough to justify the big payment.

7. MNdriver

Feb 24, 2012
    You either pay the payment or you pay the repair bill. That's been my experience.

If you have a truck that's paid off, I'd lean towards repairing the truck if the body is in good shape....

landstar8891 Thanks this.
  8. Dryver

Dryver Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Sioux Falls, SD
    New trucks come with warranties, so what huge repair bills are you worried about? The big fleets buy new because of the increased reliability, efficiency, warranties and depreciation write offs. All are applicable to a single O/O.
    If I were running a Mercedes with that many miles I'd be shaking in my boots.

9. MNdriver

Feb 24, 2012
  10. leftlanetruckin

leftlanetruckin Road Train Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Mo Via Blackpool,Lancs.
    There are also the taxes to consider.
    I am not sure if ANY truck/engine is trouble free anymore, due to emission junk that is hanging off them all, but at least the warranty will cover the cost of repairs.
    It's a juggling act. Keep the truck and it could put a rod through the block next week. Trade the truck and the new one could have some issues initially, while the old one gets sold and drives down the road with little trouble for another 2-3yrs.
    Only the Op knows what he has spent on maintenance, and what he can afford payment wise. Just remember though, those payments will be there when the truck is out of warranty, so keep them reasonable!
    For me, I calculate what it would cost in the near future to repair everything that is needed, then add all that up. If your rig is going to be due an inframe soon, then start at @$15k for a nice job. Tranny making some noises? Stick another $5k on top of the engine figure. Tires getting worn? There is $3k at least. Kingpins? Bushings? 5th wheel? And so on.
    Do the numbers, then start to price new(er) trucks.
    I have been looking at a newer truck for a while, when my wife found a brand new 2009 model year truck that seems to fit the bill. It seems like a great deal for us, as the dealer needs it off his lot and has been negotiating accordingly. It's basically a new truck for used truck money. I used to buy trucks at @1yr old, but it's getting harder to do that these days.
    Martin

11. marmonman

marmonman Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2009
    central illinois
    I have never seen any warranty that makes the truck payment while it sits in the shop or one that pays for everything . All the tax breaks and warranties do apply to single O/O but I don't buy the reliability efficiency story. The thing the single O/O doesn't have like the mega company is a thousand other trucks to pay the payment on the one in the shop .

I do know for sure that 130,000 dollars will anything I could want to do my truck and and leave me about 75,000 left over at least .

Besides when did they start paying more on the freight bill for a new truck to pull the freight ?
    All I have even seen more or is work to pay for the new truck and then it is run into the ground when its paid for and you start all over !!!!
    One more thing I have noticed is my neighbor that buys them new trucks sure does miss allot more weekends with his family than I do with mine and it sure seems like is always worried allot more too

That's just opinion but then I have been wrong before

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.