New Owner Operator with New CDL whom to lease to in Missouri

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Siinman, Mar 11, 2018.

1. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Yes i do.
    If you go for your own numbers right out of the gate you may find it difficult to know what lanes are supposed to pay what rates. Plenty of people get the idea they need say 1.80 on all miles and think all loads in all directions should pay that. Problem is they will pay that easy from a good spot to a dead spot and now you're going to try to convince the next load it should pay the same? They won't give it to you. Good examples of this are freight to the north east states vs outbound from the area. Inbound pays handsomely. Outbound is slim pickings to non existent. Same goes for the produce market zones when it's moving heavily. Texas for example. Outbound from Laredo may pay very well during produce time. Try finding a load to Laredo? They will get it moved for next to nothing.
    If you don't know these market cycles they will take full advantage of you.

There's a lot to learn about how the real world works. And you will want to keep your customers happy. Also, you will be doing your own billing, paying immediately for fuel, insurance, payments, repairs, absolutely everything, and then you will wait for 30 days to be paid. Can you float all that cash? Or will you use quick pay or factoring and give up a % of the gross load revenue? It is more expensive than it appears. Big repair? How will you pay for it? Plenty of guys go bust for being undercapitalized. Or don't know the market well enough. Or anger good customers who won't load them a second time. There's lots of ways to fail. I think your expectations for your paycheck is high for your first year given the circumstances. Did you mean 80-90 thousand? Or .80 to .90 per mile? Either way it's a heck of a lofty goal. Not impossible....

DSK333 and blairandgretchen Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    First rookie mistake, planning on miles per week.

I have no goal as to how many miles I will run this week, maybe 500 to 3000. I do have a dollar amount in mind thought. The goal is how many dollars I can bring home, not how many miles I can knockout.

Miles per week is company driver thinking.

It’s a heck of a lot cheaper to make rookie mistakes with someone else’s truck, a you will make a few, everyone wants to start at the top but you have a big learning curve but it can be done, but you don’t want to go broke getting started.

Very few if any decent company’s will lease on someone little experience, get a firm offer before you buy.

4. Siinman

Siinman Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
    All very good points and I understand this going in. It will be hard to do everything the right way and make the money I want to make. I was talking 80-90 a year not per mile. I am a very quick learner and it is not like I have not done any home work on doing this. I have spent three years studying and preparing for this. I do have enough money to start but not what I would really like to have to start.
    I am very good on computers and have experience in billing and invoices. I believe I have the experience on business side but will need to understand a little more with dealing with brokers. My biggest fear is getting a used truck and it having a major repair after a month. Will get it dyno tested and oil samples before hand and hopefully find a good shop to look at it. All the extra information I can get is always helpful. Thank you sir for taking the time and giving me some pointers. Appreciate all of it.

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  5. Siinman

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
    Agreed miles are just that. If I can get $1000 a day would be happy with a 20-25 day work month for starting out. Of course first few months are probably not gonna be that way.

Yeah that is my fear on trying to lease on with someone that no experience is gonna kill anything worth doing. Will most likely do my own authority if I can get decent insurance quote or even be insured. Lol

6. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Don’t be afraid of a true pre - emission motor (before 2003), well cared for. They serve me well.

Being held hostage at a dealership is living hell.

exhausted379 Thanks this.
  7. Siinman

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
    Seems to be a hard find now with ELD mandate for decent price around here anyways.

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  8. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Search - you’ll find.

Siinman Thanks this.
  9. fortycalglock

fortycalglock Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    Good trucks are hard to find, never mind the year. You know how many garbage 2012-14’s I looked at last year??? I drove all over FL and GA looking. I bought a 2013 Western Star glider for a bit over $50k in November. They had 6 matching, but they are all gone now. It is an ok truck, not good or great, but has potential.

nax and Siinman Thank this.
  10. Siinman

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
    Not a bad deal. I am in Missouri so looking for something close to this area.

11. Steel Dragon

Steel Dragon Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2015
    Danny Herman Trucking offers power only freight.
    Southwest runs.
    1500-2000 mile trips.
    Terminal in phillipsburgh mo

Siinman Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.