New owner torn on a new truck.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Arctic_fox, Jan 22, 2021.

1. singlescrewshaker

singlescrewshaker Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    You say you was running 2020 volvos at your last company, & because of that you won't touch a Detroit..?

Now I could be wrong here, but I'm pretty sure Detroit's ain't been offered in Volvo's since 2003ish..? I reckon you are confusing the
    D13 Volvo with the DD13 Detroit..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Condi

Condi Light Load Member

Sep 9, 2012
    Before you went and bought a truck I recommend you pay somebody to write a business plan for you. Cause if you did you would not come here and ask all these questions

4. Vampire

Vampire Medium Load Member

May 14, 2011
    Transylvania
    Even my dealer had advised me to stay away from anything before 2017 (Paccar). If you can afford to get something with a factory warranty left on it, I would recommend you do so. I'd say drive it, make some money and trade it up for something newer so you always have something under warranty for some piece of mind. It's either that or buy something pre emissions that was rebuilt with paperwork. Be mindful of the uncertainty with current admin and their environmental plans as well, as this could effect older rigs. As with any truck, Rig dig report, ECM dump, oil analysis and so on.

Use the search function on the site. Many of the questions you asked have already been answered by our experienced members here. Their wealth of knowledge is awesome, appreciated and priceless. I wish you the best of luck.

5. Arctic_fox

Arctic_fox Experienced mx13 execrator

Sep 16, 2016
    Maybe? I have limited 1 time experience with them i just know they had D13's and was told they were Detroit's so i very well could be mistaken and apologize if i am. I stayed in my old T880 with a cat mostly and only drove the volvos when my 880 was down for repairs a few times. Last company before them where most of my experience comes from was all petes with cats or Kennys with cummings. So i have limited experience with rigs outside those.

As for the rest fair enough i'll poke around some more. Mostly was going with the first lineup as it was all i could find in my pricerange within a few hundred miles.

6. Crude Truckin'

Crude Truckin' Alien Spacecraft

Oct 22, 2016
    North Dakota, Eh?
    D13 is a Volvo powerplant. DD13 is Detroit.

7. singlescrewshaker

singlescrewshaker Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    No need to apologize sir. Just something I caught in your writing. You seemed to have written off all Detroits because of a bad experience, just wanted to make sure you were blaming the correct party.. lol

8. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Detroit Diesel became a proprietary engine of Daimler in the early to mid 2000's. Only available in Freightliner or Western Stars from that point on.

9. Arctic_fox

Sep 16, 2016
    Fair enough, and i have no problems admitting when i'm wrong. Hell i prefer being corrected much easier to not end up broke that way :p

Back to the one pete though assuming i can't find something better or that my bank wont throw a hissy over my trying to finance over (i have 2 weeks with my pre approval unless i want to take a huge dent to my credit and want to wait for another year to find a truck) how would turning the engine up to 500 horse work on it?. 85500 is only in KS,OK and rarely NE and usually for sub 200 mile runs. 95% of the rest of the time i run between the central and eastern states with forrays down south so i rarely push up over 80k. Most reviews i can find say as long as i don't run it under 1k if i need to idle it, should be ok to 1 mil though an APU will be a must asap. Also to get a Davey tool so i can fix most codes myself.

Main reason the pete is even still on the table...the edge granted but still there is how much lighter it is then the one i'm using for end dump to the tune of 1300 pounds. An extra ton a day will add up pretty fast not to mention going from 4mpg to 8 :p

10. Idaho MTN Driver

Idaho MTN Driver Bobtail Member

Jan 22, 2020
    Not that it matters, but wondering about the T880 you mentioned. Did it have a Cat engine like you thought? I think Cat was out of the highway engine market by the time the T880 was introduced in '13 or so. Is it a glider you were running? Or maybe a T800? Again, not that it matters, just curious.

11. Arctic_fox

Sep 16, 2016
    It was a glider with a nice yellow cat and no def. THAT one i am 100% sure of. Used enough cats to know them right off the bat. Plus i know he bought it as a blank frame and installed the cat in his own shop.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.