NEW PETERBILTS..CAN'T SEE OUT OF THE MIRRORS

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by GwenP, May 1, 2019.

1. GwenP

GwenP Bobtail Member

Oct 27, 2014
    My company has recently taken delivery of Peterbilts for our 7 and 11 ton box trucks. When I was assigned to mine, upon settling in I immediately noticed that the mirrors were too high to see out of the whole mirror, only the top portion of the mirror. I also discovered that the mirrors do not adjust vertically, or have a slot bracket that could be used to pull them in from the top, in addition the round mirror attached at base of the mirror blocks the lower 2-3 inches of the mirror itself. I went ahead and drove the truck the first shift, and had such reduced vision out of the passenger mirrors that my stress level was way up. I have a steep pit dock in a corner to deliver to multiple times and I could not see my tires or lower half of the cargo box. After the shift I told management that it needs to be fixed, and they tried to sweep it under the rug by saying that I was the only one that seemed to have an issue with it. I then found out that two others drivers had backing contact incidents on thier first trips in these vehicles. I filed a safety hazard report, and now there is a lot of noise and scrambling, and several other drivers have come forward saying that they cannot properly see out of these mirrors. The taller drivers seem to be ok with it, but the rest of us that are less that about 5'10 seem to be affected. I am 5'5". I am curious to know if anyone else out there has experienced this issue.

Mike2633 and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BUMBACLADWAR

BUMBACLADWAR Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2013
    Yikes...Can you push in on the top half of the mirror...and "get em to cant up a little"?. Our new Cascadias have wide door posts and big Arse mirror housings.Creates a bad "blind spot" Constantly leaning forwards and back in the seat to see cars ,heading towards you on the right. WTF. Who designs these new rigs? Obviously not drivers. JMO

Dino soar, GwenP and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  4. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Then, when I try to lean forward to see, the seat belt locks up because of a bump in the road.

Dino soar, jmz, Cattleman84 and 2 others Thank this.
  5. GwenP

GwenP Bobtail Member

Oct 27, 2014
    No the mirrors are fixed tight vertically and only adjust slightly horizontally. The left side fender mirror is behind the door post and you cannot see out unless you lean to the left or right. Ridiculous.

BUMBACLADWAR Thanks this.
  6. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Sounds like it was designed by someone who thought everyone rode with the seat slid all the way forward, plumb full of air, and the steering wheel touching thier belly.

7. ETMF 58 White

ETMF 58 White Light Load Member

Jan 4, 2019
    Gwen, the problem is when they gave all of you Peterbilts for box trucks. You need to go to Peterbilt school where you will learn to drive sitting flat on the floor looking out the bottom half of your windshield, because the top half is obscured by a shiny aftermarket drop visor. At least that’s where I figure the road cowboys learn it, because I don’t believe they teach it that way in reputable driving schools and company training.

Mike2633, DUNE-T and BUMBACLADWAR Thank this.
  8. Jay5GS

Jay5GS Medium Load Member

Jun 28, 2018
    Los Angeles
    post a pic

GwenP Thanks this.
  9. pushbroom

pushbroom Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Depending on the mirror style, some do not have enough slot to get the mirrors pointed down to see the tires. I have had to grind the horizontal slots deeper to get a better view of the tire.

GwenP Thanks this.
  10. QuietStorm

QuietStorm Heavy Load Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Put air in your chair.

Flat Earth Trucker Thanks this.
  11. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    BLASPHEMY!!!!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.