New radio out mirage mx-36hp

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by RATROD, Oct 21, 2010.

1. RATROD

RATROD Bobtail Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    I found a new radio out. Mirage has a MX-36HP. info found at rrcom.com. there picture looks bad they say it's really chrome with a gun metal blue face. Same size as a cobra 29. Anybody have a better picture Any body else have one of these radio's yet?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. WA4GCH

WA4GCH Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Seminole Florida
    It is am only ? A so called 10 meter radio

What does it really have a CB dosnt ? If you need a few extra watts get a amp ..... and a good CB .....

4. FriedTater

FriedTater Keeper of The Snakes

Mar 25, 2009
    United State of Texas
    Mirage,NorthStar . . . . . . my back yard is full of simular offerings
    from my four legged friends.

Purchase one ? :biggrin_2559: not on a bet:biggrin_2559:
    Not even if 200+ TRR Members sang their praises,their cheap knock-off
    type radios.

5. WA4GCH

WA4GCH Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Seminole Florida
    I had a 2950 knock off it was junk too .....

6. RATROD

RATROD Bobtail Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Mirage builds amps too for all the bands and I saw good reviews too. I'm going to call R&R and see what they say. It's different that all the other radios out there so it can't be just a copy.

7. WA4GCH

WA4GCH Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Seminole Florida
    If they do it's news to me.

The MIRAGE that build a LEGAL amps is owned by MFJ I run a MIRAGE amp on 2 meter SSB/FM

8. groundpounder

groundpounder Road Train Member

Nov 13, 2009
    "owned by MFJ" is enough for me to keep looking !! :biggrin_2559:

9. WA4GCH

WA4GCH Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Seminole Florida

NO KIDDING ......

My amp died just out of the garentee 12 month date ..... I had to send it to them for repair because it is a kluge inside.

SO ....

I get the repair guy who sounds like a 78RPM record on 16RPM and with little knowledge of VHF/UHF amps and we went around a few times until he got what was wrong and still replaced some parts that had nothing to do with the problem.... He said it was running 159 watts .... RIGHT ...

Even the Bird here at work said no more than 135 .....

O it gets better .......

The preamp is so bad it mask the weak signals so I asked him to give me a print out or at least some measurement of its MDS or noise floor at 2.5 kHz band width. NOISE FIGURE is very hard to measure but they clams .6db ( SHURE ) well it comes back no better than if left here ........

THEM in QST they did a test of the preamp in a review of the amp .... 3DB of noise measured ...... HECK we did that good in 1967 with the old 40673 RCA dual gate mosfets and this thing is using GASFETS .........

You got to love mighty fine junk ( MFJ )

10. RATROD

RATROD Bobtail Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    I now have the Mirage MX-36HP. Great radio works excellent has very good Modulation and all the features of the Connex 3300hp plus an SWR meter and adjustable talkback. Also only a little over 7" wide so it fits in the International Truck without cutting. This one is not one of those cheap knock off types. Picture on rrcom's site does not do it justice.

11. WA4GCH

WA4GCH Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Seminole Florida
    I'm not knocking YOUR radio and if YOUR happy with it that's what counts.
    MIRAGE ( not the mfj one ) makes clones ( knock off ) of other radios and they are likely built by connex or rci.

In the PAST they had out a 2950 clone that was almost like the ranger one. I had one and it did not last became intermittent and even after i fixed it several times had problems so i got rid of it.

MIRAGE the MFJ one builds poor quilty amps for VHF .

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.