New Relay Valve Releasing Air When Brake is Depressed

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by MyLotion, May 28, 2023.

1. MyLotion

MyLotion Bobtail Member

Aug 20, 2019
    Hello,

I have a 2006 Volvo D16 VT880. I decided to replace my relay valve and two ABS valves due to a small air leak occurring at the exhaust of the relay valve. This new relay valve is now leaking only when the brake is pressed. It appears that the valve is not closing properly when the brake is depressed and therefore air is passing through the exhaust of the relay valve. This is a different relay valve than my old one, though it is a direct replacement. The new relay valve is a Bendix R-12, if that helps at all.

Please let me know if you have any ideas.

Thank you.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kwswan

kwswan Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2009
    mcminnville,tn.
    Make sure that you hooked all the lines up correctly.

JB7 Thanks this.
  4. JB7

JB7 Medium Load Member

Dec 13, 2022
    upload_2023-5-28_18-33-7.png
    See post #14 which relates to your problem even though OP had problem of valve leaking with brakes released. Also #6. The other posts are good too. Just because a valve leaks doesn't mean that valve is bad.
    relay valve still leaking air?? | Page 2 | TruckersReport.com Trucking Forum | #1 CDL Truck Driver Message Board (thetruckersreport.com)

RubyEagle Thanks this.
  5. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    My I replaced my foot valve on my COE decades ago, I took several pictures of the lines. It just takes one line to ruin your day.

6. JB7

JB7 Medium Load Member

Dec 13, 2022
    upload_2023-5-28_21-55-43.png

4.) With the introduction of spring brakes, anti-compounding and 121 air brake systems, because a valve is leaking air out of its exhaust, does not mean the valve is at fault. If a spring brake is leaking from the the spring brake to the service brake side, that air will travel back up the service line and out the exhaust of the next valve back. Before replacing a valve that has air leaking from its exhaust, disconnect the delivery lines from that valve to determine if air is being fed back from some other valve or unit.

AModelCat Thanks this.
  7. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Was it a reman valve? Have heard the reman air valves can be hit or miss.

Regardless, troubleshoot first before replacing again. Air can backfeed from other components and make perfectly ok valves leak out the exhaust.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.