New restrictions on who can drive?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Northeasterner, May 16, 2019.

1. Northeasterner

Northeasterner Medium Load Member

Apr 1, 2018
    With increasing usage of marijuana among millenials and gen z, as well as the high average age of truck drivers, should we encourage ongoing marijuana legalization and use since that would limit the pool of available truck drivers, and by the law of supply and demand drive up wages and rates?

I'm thinking an organization should target 21-somethings who have clean driving records in legal-weed states offering them free samples of marijuana from the local dispensary. If we can turn them into habitual marijuana users, they won't be able to compete w/ us for truck driving jobs and loads and drive down rates!

I feel we should also encourage the federal government to once again ban diabetic drivers, w/ NO exemptions, and impose a BMI limit on drivers, perhaps at 30 which is the cut-off for obese? This would also work to limit the supply.

Mandatory "mental health tests" to exclude anyone with PTSD or a history of diagnosis of ADHD (for safety reasons, of course!) could supplement this.

We *must* keep the driving age at 21, if not raise it to 25 which is the "neural maturity limit" established by neuroscience, and perhaps impose a minimum residency requirement on immigrants of 5-10 years. Arbitrary restrictions on *anyone* with a felony or misdeamenor could also serve to limit the pool of drivers further.

All of these measures I feel would result in the already severe shortage getting much, much worse. It would drive up pay, and if we can make self-driving trucks too much of a legal liability, perhaps unions could help us lobby against them? We could make the 100k a year average salary a thing again now and forever! If companies have nobody to hire, they'll be desperate to pay whatever it takes and the shippers/receivers will have no choice but to take the hit, and pass it onto consumers.

Elizabeth Warren spoke about breaking up Google, that's our ticket to kill off autonomous vehicles right there!

Consumers will pay the price, but hey, that's what the govt' is there to do!
    What do you all think? It's for safety of course, but it'd help our salaries too! I know it sounds cronyist, but that's what hiring lobbyists is all about. In fact, that's what the ATA and Teamsters and even OOIDA have been doing for decades!

Midnightrider909 and Milr72 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Intothesunset

Intothesunset Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2019
    truck
    No cannabis.
    No unions.
    Adhd is normal for truckers.
    No to raise age to drive to 25. Perhaps 18 will happen if it's pushed by the ATA.

Most of this post is nonsense.

shogun, Joetro, Rollr4872 and 3 others Thank this.
  4. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    Elizabeth Warren? Yeah, fauxcahontas. We’re from the government and we’re here to help. Ridiculous. I hope you feeeeeeeeeeel better. Besides, it’s for the children.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  5. Northeasterner

Apr 1, 2018
    No no no! You don't get it: I'm saying all of these things are safety related, but would have the effect of preventing so many people from becoming or remaining truck drivers, that wages would have to drastically rise as companies desperately scramble to fill seats.

It would force something like 95% of current drivers out of the industry, and prevent at least 60% of the population from even *considering* driving a truck!

If we limit the supply, and demand stays the same, wages will increase!

6. Northeasterner

Apr 1, 2018
    I'm taking a devil's advocate approach here to solving the problem of driver pay, btw. ;)

7. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    You think that would kill off autonomous vehicles? What you just set in motion is all the mega’s now working together to help produce and manufacture autonomous trucks.

Wages won’t go up, job losses will be incurred. I hope this thread is a joke. If you were serious, well @Northeasterner you will be in my prayers.

8. Intothesunset

Intothesunset Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2019
    truck
    Still a bunch of non sense to me.
    How did you figure those percentages???
    Trucking industry is the easiest industry to make money off the back of those who do 90% of the work.
    Because you do not need to be very smart to be a driver.

Joetro, Bean Jr. and Puppage Thank this.
  9. Northeasterner

Apr 1, 2018
    It was an amusing thought I had...

I think wages would go up for a while until they could figure out how to get autonomous trucks to work.

Of course if the government were willing to ban anybody fat from driving, why wouldn't they just ban self-driving trucks as to dangerous? Take some money from a union that stands to lose workers, and say it's for safety!

No I think this would permanently increase wages and also cripple the economy.

10. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    I think you should read up on the law of unintended consequences.

Make trucking more expensive and less available? OK, I'll send it by rail, or plane, or pipeline. Put MORE money in autonomous trucks. Build greenhouses locally to grow veggies for market. Locovores will sprout up everywhere. Truck stops go out of business.

Be careful what you wish for. You might get it.

Northeasterner Thanks this.
  11. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    It sounds like a campaign for political office

Northeasterner Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.