New rules at Roehl for Toll and Optistop route

Discussion in 'Roehl' started by judas, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Preacher Man

Preacher Man Road Train Member

May 31, 2008
    Mason City, IL
    Actually if you compare their current routing with Google Maps it's very close. They do favor interstates over back roads, but you will see a lot of the Sears Tower if you go from Green Bay south. You may see a lot of US 30 through Indiana and Ohio, but they won't take you too far out of route just to avoid toll roads. One place where I don't take their route and save myself a lot of miles is Little Rock to St. Louis. Their routing goes I-40 to I-55. It's all interstate, but US 67 is almost all four lane, no scales and fewer miles.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Zangief

Zangief Medium Load Member

Feb 19, 2011
    Jags Fan in Viking Country
    I've been driving for Roehl for about a year and a half and, although there are times when it seems like they are taking you on a few country roads that might not be necessary, for the most part the routes are pretty good.

There are probably some whiny types who let this stuff get on their nerves, so it will seem like a big deal to them. If you are the type who looks at the positive side of things and tries not to let the little stuff bother you, it won't be a big deal. I really have very few complaints about Roehl, and their routing is not one of them.

Good luck out on the road!

Bayle, BIGLEE500 and Nottoway Thank this.
  4. Lantern

Lantern Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2011
    Deliverin Soda
    Good man!

Since I've been here I've seen the routes they give you become more and more interstate. Of course you can't run interstate all the time, but I choose to follow their route 9/10 times.

Nottoway Thanks this.
  5. DrtyDiesel

DrtyDiesel Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    When I first started I hated running anything other than interstate.

Honestly after a year of driving I have grown to enjoy some of the back roads and US highways I've taken. It's actually a nice change of pace to run a state or US road and not be tied up in interstate all the time. I've also learned a few routes near big cities where if traffic is backing up I can take a back road to get around it, back to the interstate, and get in with my day instead of sitting in traffic for an hour.

Lantern knows how much I hated not being on interstate a while back, but now I'd rather take a back road. I turn up the tunes, relax, and enjoy the drive. There's more scenery and there's more than just driving steady down the road with nothing happening for 100-300 miles.

Nottoway, Bayle and BIGLEE500 Thank this.
  6. Preacher Man

Preacher Man Road Train Member

May 31, 2008
    Mason City, IL
    The off interstate routes depend on where you are. Most state and US routes in the south and midwest are pretty good, but in mountain states can be like driving a roller coaster. I found out something about tolls for owner/ops. If the route you want to take has tolls that are the same, or less than Roehl's opti system then there will be no charge (they keep the profit.) If your route is more expensive then Roehl will take the difference out of your settlement. An illustration is going I-39 through Rockford instead of I-94 through Chicago. Rockford is about 25 miles farther, but the tolls are $7.00 less. In my case it usually means that I get to see the family as well. So shorter route, Chicago traffic and stick it to Roehl, or slightly longer route, see the family, no Chicago and save Roehl a little cash. Sounds like a no-brainer to me.

7. creamy_filling102

creamy_filling102 Bobtail Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Janesville, Minnesota
    well thanks fellas. that puts me at ease to know it isn't ALL bad. i have a bad tendancy to focus on the negative and get p*ssed off at everything, but i'm trying to get better at it. some of the people that complain about it on here are maybe just whining too much. i guess if i do have a problem with their route, i should be able to drive a little off of it once and a while without getting chewed out TOO bad, as long as there's a good reason for it.

8. skyviper73

skyviper73 Heavy Load Member

Feb 17, 2012
    Centennial, CO
    Don't run a toll road unless it's on your routing. The first time it's a warning, the second, you will be paying for it out of your paycheck.

DrtyDiesel Thanks this.
  9. DrFlush

DrFlush Road Train Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Upstate NY
    My routing on my way home contained 200 miles of two lane parrelling between two interstates, one toll and one non toll, it was 35 miles longer than the non toll road and 15 miles shorter than the toll road. I did get to drive through several quaint villages during the Christmas celebrations on Sunday afternoon, and got to brush up on my shifting down into the low side of the gear box pulling quite a few hills. Monday I got to brush up on my winter driving going over snow, ice and black ice on back roads. At least in wasn't the same old boring interstate, and after all who wants to be home early for the holidays anyway. That was the worst routing I have ever had with Roehl, I bet it was 200 miles longer than necessary and took and extra 6 or 7 hours.

10. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    Because I haven't ever dealt with this BFI stuff, I gotta ask. Can you call someone and say, "This routing is BS!" and have it changed? Because I guarantee this crusty ol' driver ain't getting paid short miles on something like that LR-StL trip and getting routed through Memphis. I really don't know how y'all put up with this nannying. :biggrin_25513:

11. DrtyDiesel

DrtyDiesel Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    It is what it is. I wouldn't call it bfi stuff. Company trying to save money. Though I've called multiple times to have my routing changed and they've never had a problem with it

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.