New SCR DD15 vs ISX15

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Oram, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Oram

Oram Medium Load Member

Jan 28, 2012
    WINDSOR, ON, CANADA
    I have had a longer conversation with gentlemen who purchased glider under "Experience with new SCR engines?"
    I do not think they made a bad choice, but I think, I hope, with these new SCR engines we have reasonable choice other than glider.

Probably my question was not a right one, or partly answered. There is not so much difference between the two engine to choose a truck based on.
    Basically this is what I have heard before from more sources. The most reliable, non partisan, based on large numbers was from a Schneider manager. (Unfortunately I can not find the article again.) He said, in the fuel economy no significant difference, to maintain the Detroit a little cheaper, but Cummins last a little longer. He also said, they use 15 liter engine, because they keep the trucks longer. 5-800.000 miles. I do even longer, so no question, I need the 15 liter one.
    The price difference around 10.000$ between the two trucks, but no question the KW a significantly better quality, more luxurious. For this price difference I can get the top of the line, heated-cooled leather seats, front air ride suspension, VIT interior with NAVI plus and over all KW quality. And now, until December 31 you I can have 3 years, 360.000 miles warranty with no charge. And do not make mistake, the T680 is not T700. From outside almost identical, but a totally different truck. A lot more carefully designed and built truck.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. chopov78

chopov78 Light Load Member

Feb 27, 2010
    illinois
    You have to have cummins .good power great engine brake and enough service and dealers in every state.You won't be sorry.

4. onedayaway

onedayaway Light Load Member

Jun 28, 2011
    alberta
    We got a daycab t680 with an ISX 485/1850 about 2 months ago.
    If its your thing it's a nice truck.
    Much more Volvo like inside. Wide cab, low dash, big windshield.
    Only real complaint driver has is not being able to put the seat far enough back, but I would think that's only a daycab issue.

5. Oram

Oram Medium Load Member

Jan 28, 2012
    WINDSOR, ON, CANADA
    Thank you. Yeah. It is probably just a day cab issue, but anyway, not a big deal for me, since I am only 5'11" and 175 pounds.

6. Sportster2000

Sportster2000 Road Train Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Indiana
    I was able to put the seat back further than I wanted to in the 680. So much so I couldn't reach the pedals and I am 6'2" tall so there is plenty of leg room.

7. Oram

Oram Medium Load Member

Jan 28, 2012
    WINDSOR, ON, CANADA
    How did you like the truck? Please some information! I am just a few months away to order my new truck and I have not seen a single T680 since the Mid America Truck Show.

8. bubbanbrenda

bubbanbrenda Road Train Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Middletown,Oh.
    Might want to look at the DD16/600 H.P. I've heard some nice things but its still kinda new

9. Oram

Oram Medium Load Member

Jan 28, 2012
    WINDSOR, ON, CANADA
    I do not really need so much power, and my problem with DD engines, they can be fixed only at Freightliner shop. The other thing it also available only in Diamler products, and I am not sure the engine is so superior what would compensate for the Cascadia lower quality.

10. Sportster2000

Sportster2000 Road Train Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Indiana
    I didn't drive it far enough to be able to give you a fair assesment of it.

11. NFDDJS

NFDDJS Light Load Member

Jul 8, 2012
    New Hampshire

I am sure you know this but they can also be worked on at Western Star dealers and something some people might not know is that all Pierce fire apparatus Dealers can work on the DD engines and it will be covered under your warranty. Also is a nice thing to know because more Pierce fire apparatus dealers have 24/7 service. I know we have a 2003 60 series and have had it worked on 3-4 times at a Pierce fire apparatus because all the other places we closed and they were open 24/7 so it worked out nice...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.