New site for truck parking

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by Luther Morgan, Mar 12, 2023.

1. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    skallagrime Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Luther Morgan

Luther Morgan Bobtail Member

Mar 12, 2023
    Any Ideas how to minimize their attendance? I mean really all I can think of is to ban them if caught.

4. The Crossword Trucker

The Crossword Trucker Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Shallow graves?

Numb, JoeyJunk and Luther Morgan Thank this.
  5. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    How much acreage?

6. Luther Morgan

Mar 12, 2023
    That's awesome. Especially the comments. I was thinking angled back in like in 3 (i ride Mc so you know...lol) But reverse the blind side is a great idea.

gentleroger Thanks this.
  7. Luther Morgan

Mar 12, 2023
    It's about 30 acres and a really nice shape being a bit longer on 1 side and wider on the back there are no sharp 90 degree corners.

8. Luther Morgan

Mar 12, 2023
    Question on those drawings. I think the one way horse shoe design would work best on my property and He says that's 60 degree angle spots with 60 ft of isle. There are several comments on blind side backing so....
    Q: is there a sweet spot or angle where the blind side is eliminated? In other words would say a 45 angle allow a driver to maintain more of a straight line backup where he isn't jack knifing the cab so much as to be blindsided? Am I even saying that right? Other than pull thru what's your ideal situation?

9. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Blind side means backing into a spot that's to your right hand side. When you're blind side backing you only have the mirrors, which can over a limited view point. Spots that are angled to the right will always be a blind side, spots angled to the left will always be sight side. My preference is for spots to be perpendicular and then I can get myself into a sight side set up. My main preference for this is because it's always obvious who parked like a fool with perpendicular parking, while with angled spots it can be a matter of some debate.

10. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    Here's my thoughts:
    Bobtail, Tractor trailer & about 2 - 10 oversize spaces for those guys.
    I don't know how many oversize spaces you'll need. That's not something I know about but I suspect the oversize guys here can give some input.

Cameras
    This will add to not only security, but to catch mischief, who's dropping the trash, pee etc, as well as accidents to assist the victims.

Assign spaces
    With assigned spaces, you know who stayed there in that spot. Damage or trash to your property as well as who dropped the trash there or backed into the truck in the next space. If your lot guy goes out and there's trash in the area, you know pretty much who to look at. You may not always see it on camera but if it continues, you could move the suspect or the guys on each side to other spots & see where the trash continues to be. There or did it move? Its not perfect but it certainly narrows it down. You'll know who the problem clients are in short order. You need to have them fill out a brief registration card & maybe a copy of their D/L for police reports, your insurance etc. Enter this info into a data base on your computer.
    It also gives you a running total of how many spaces you have, where, for new or future clients.

Obviously good lighting

JoeyJunk Thanks this.
  11. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    I'll add something else too.
    You mentioned food or something, I didn't go back & look, but, if this is going to be for single overnight parking as well as weekend & weekly parking options, instead of you getting yourself involved with food (other than drink & snake machines), consider contracting with a few food trucks to come by at designated times... make sure there are more than Mexican food trucks. Some of us would want a good burger instead of a soft taco. Maybe a pizza truck. BBQ truck. Look around & see what your options are as far as who & what food is available to service your lot. Charge them a fee to come onto your private lot & sell food. Take bids. Or you could just contract with them for free if you're willing to do that, to serve your clients. Many options.
    Let the food trucks worry about food regulations.

Try to group your trucks using the above mentioned assigned spacing.
    Reefers, bobtails, oversize. Otherwise, general flats & dry vans etc can go together. Not many people like to park next to a reefer. No offence, just something to consider.

afsargeant, hotrod1653, Numb and 2 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.