New site for truck parking

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by Luther Morgan, Mar 12, 2023.

1. Luther Morgan

Luther Morgan Bobtail Member

Mar 12, 2023
    I am going to try and keep a minimal involvement with food. I thought I'd have a small store with pre packaged items if food and other convenience store items and a lounge area to stretch and just be comfortable outside the truck but in the A/C. I've actually thought of renting spaces to food trucks up by the road because I believe there will be lots of bnsf and tenant employee traffic but then.... I don't want to have a lot of 4 wheel traffic so idk? Great input though it's all worth considering.

JoeyJunk Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Luther Morgan

Mar 12, 2023
    Yes. I'm thinking like a hotel check in process and service. In other words when you arrive or make a reservation an attendant or porter will see to your needs. Plug you into an outlet take trash etcetera. I feel like that we I'll cut down on the shenanigans if ppl know they are being paid attention to. I'd even considered having an Amazon pickup where you can get your orders delivered on site.. brainstorming. ive spent lots of time away in hotels for work so my thought process is what I wish I'd had available

JoeyJunk Thanks this.
  4. Luther Morgan

Mar 12, 2023
    Let me try to explain my thought better. If I have a 60ft isle and 80ft space at a 45 angle wouldn't that allow you to get in a non blindside setup with less work? My thought and I could be wrong is that by the time I pass the space I'm backing into I'd have minimal blind time before I'd be straight again going at an angle yes but backing with the cab and trailer in a straight line..... because the 60ft isle at that angle would actually be much longer.

5. Luther Morgan

Mar 12, 2023
    Picture it this way. I have a spot on my right side so I pull forward past it hugging my right.... angle 45 left and by the time I stop at the opposite isle side I'm in a straight line to back in. Makes sense in my head but I'm no geometry wizard so it could be I'm talking nonsense lol.

JoeyJunk Thanks this.
  6. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.

What is your property zoned for? A parking lot for trucks might be alright short term but there might be better uses for the land. Better uses and more income.

7. Luther Morgan

Mar 12, 2023
    I'm in texas and not in a city limits so there is no zoning. It's pretty obvious this is going industrial though so yes the truck parking is a way to start without spending big bucks on a spec warehouse that might not be what's wanted like my neighbor did. He spent lots of money on a small warehouse office with very limited appeal to a certain type of tenant. IMO. I'd rather be in a build to suit situation.

REO6205 Thanks this.
  8. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Not really, and you'd be giving up a lot of spots as well. Angle parking is only benifitial when there is limited space to work with, say 100 feet total from the back of the spot to the far side of the lot.

Screenshot_20230314_081723_Maps.jpg

In this lot, putting the trailers in at an angle allows for a smaller aisle which allows an 6 rows instead of 5, the problem is half of them are on the blindside and as you can see about 20% are parked poorly, making life miserable.

Screenshot_20230314_082225_Maps.jpg

Here they put in angled "pull throughs". 15 spits per row, 3 rows, 4 aisles. If they'd just squared up the rows on either end and had them up against the curb they'd be able to get 10 more trucks in AND give everyone more room to work with.

If you have space for a 60 foot aisle and 80 foot spots on an angle, I'd just square them up. It eliminates blind side backing, gets more trucks into the same space, and reduces the number of guys you don't park correctly.

Luther Morgan Thanks this.
  9. The Crossword Trucker

The Crossword Trucker Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    blindside backing of any kind in a tight space crowded with trucks is going to cause accidents
    some of the folks out here cant back worth beans

10. NH Guy

NH Guy Medium Load Member

Feb 26, 2023
    Have a small area for the food trucks in front before the gate, lets the 4 wheelers visit the food trucks without getting in the way of the trucks. The food trucks are an amenity for the truckers, but they are a business so it will be easier to attract them if you allow others to patronize them as well. I dont think even 200 trucks parking regularly is going to be enough business to keep the food trucks busy. Dont forget to have parking marked somehow for the cars. Maybe give the food trucks access to a section that is used by bobtails to park off hours in the fenced area. Be selective on the quality of food trucks you allow to operate, you dont want to get a reputation as a diarrhea factory when you are relying on the trucks to regularly keep coming back. Make sure they are all regularly inspected by health authorities, and display the rating, dont allow any C/D, only take the best. If you have the means you might have commercial kitchen space and cold storage available to your food truck operators for rent.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2023
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.