New to ELD, who do i choose

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by irishluck09, Sep 25, 2020.

1. irishluck09

irishluck09 Light Load Member

Nov 24, 2019
    hi, new to eld. Have one truck ill have to get it for and soon to be 3.

Who do i choose? Whats a good one out there for the best bang for a buck? What features should i get? Who should i stay away from?

I tried to google it but hard to find individuals who have personal experience with them. Thanks guys

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
  4. Charlie Best

Charlie Best Light Load Member

Jul 8, 2019
    Iowa
  5. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    "Forget" Omnitracs. Overpriced, out of date hardware with poopy software. There are only two advantages to Omni - their cvd is reliable and the eld kicks you to on duty when you shut the engine off (which is technically not legal, but is also technically legal).

6. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Ive been using jj keller for a year have not had 1 problem with it ever....

JonJon78 Thanks this.
  7. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    Can you elaborate on the out of date poopy software comment?

Have never noticed omnitracs kicking me to on duty when I shut the truck off, I will have to pay attention today, and see what it does.

EDIT: Just shut the truck off after driving a little bit and omnitracs kept me in "driving" status? Close to 1 minute then I decided to switch it manually...

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
  8. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    From a hardware perspective the mcp200 was out of date when it was introduced. The IVG is better, but is still overpriced for whats there.

On the mcp they had numerous issues with editing, which they've been fixing over the last year, but should never have been issues in the first place.

For their tablet software - I haven't looked at it in over a year, probably closer to two years. When if first came out we got three days into the beta test and had to suspend testing because nothing was working right. A month later we restarted, and there were still issues. The biggest was what appeared on the driver's screen was different than what was in the erod file. It was also a pain to use - one of the drivers in the test group flat out said "if this is the software we have to use, I'm going to quit".

Using Omni eld on the mcp isn't too bad for the driver, but Platform Science is a lot easier. Omni also has issues playing nicely with other software.

JonJon78 Thanks this.
  9. Atlaw4u

Atlaw4u Heavy Load Member

Jun 8, 2018
    I use Blue Ink Tech's BIT ELD. It's simple, no subscription and great customer service.

You should also search the forum. I think there was a detailed comparison previously posted.

10. Dieselboss

Dieselboss Technology Contributor

Feb 19, 2009
    DieselBoss.com
    Here is the way it works. If, after 5 minutes, you have not moved after any period of driving except "PC" - the Omnitracs puts you in On-Duty and it "backtracks" that time that you went into on duty by 5 minutes. You do not have to turn the truck off for this to happen. It just needs to not move for 5 minutes.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
    JonJon78 Thanks this.
  11. GrumpyJoe

GrumpyJoe Light Load Member

Oct 8, 2019
    Tibbitt
    Can you PM how you like JJ Kellers app. New job and i am down to Blueink and JJ Keller. Need a DOT safe ELD.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.