New to Fuel Hauling

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by McUzi, Jan 3, 2020.

1. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Landed a P/T gig on Saturdays with a local fuel hauler to supplement my income (currently work for a Cryo/Gas company) since my location's busy season drops off in March/April. I'm stoked because I've wanted to pull fuel in the worst way since I got my license and I finally have my chance to do so. The company is relatively tiny, only has 4 trucks at this (1 of 2) location but runs 24/7. Did my drug screen today after the company's insurance carrier confirmed I was insurable, will do my road test next week and begin training.

Manual trucks, 100% gravity fed tank fleet, zero logging (due to the 100 air mile radius) and a FMCSA exemption to taking a break if going over 12 hours... a total stark contrast from what I'm used to and I'm thrilled to be getting back into a manual, at least for one of my work days.

Any advice for a new tanker yanker other than the obvious things like paying attention to what you're dropping, etc? I'm nervous about the process of going to a terminal and loading at a fuel rack.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. z32sean

z32sean Light Load Member

Aug 9, 2016
    Middle Tennessee
    Be careful about the no logging. You still need a record of duty like dispatch forms or time sheets. Also be aware that small fuel companies are notorious for letting the driver take the hit so be ready to refuse a run when that 25 year old Kenworth has bald tires, no fire extinguisher and expired papers.

Jay5GS, homeskillet, Woodys and 2 others Thank this.
  4. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Points taken. As far as I know of with regard to the 100m air radius, the company needs to retain the time records, but I don't believe I need to have them with me in the vehicle. When I interviewed and they took me for a tour around the yard, I was quick to look at things like condition and property equipment. There were 2 of the tractors that were waiting for their night shift drivers to come in and the one of the other two tractors was rolling in. Clean and newer Cascadias that appeared to be in good condition with recent Mass. inspection stickers since they are plated in MA. Tankers appeared to be clean and maintained as well. Walking by the shop I noticed that the mechanic bay was organized and relatively clean as well. Looking at the company's safety record, they have a line of zeros across the board with regard to out of service instances in the last 24 months, 0 fatalities, 0 injuries and only 1 tow with regard to crashes. They're starting me off at $30/hr and with all this combined, I'm inclined to think they are on the "keeping their noses clean" side of the fence. Hopefully, I'm not wrong.

Woodys Thanks this.
  5. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Yeah, if your operation is using the short-haul exemption from Record Of Duty Status or logbook, they keep all of the records of your start/stop times. You just want to prevent yourself from accidentally not getting your 10 hour break between shifts, and staying with your 60/70 limits.

Woodys and McUzi Thank this.
  6. MrJoop

MrJoop Bobtail Member

Oct 2, 2012
    Develop a routine at the rack and at the delivery point. I've found that doing that keeps me from forgetting things or making mistakes. Use an actual checklist or just keep one in your head, whichever works better for you. Take your time and double check everything. I work for a small company and I started off part time on weekends, too, wound up with them full time. It's a great job.

7. Cali kid

Cali kid Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2011
    IE, CA
    A cryo driver with a second job??? You must run for a third party carrier or something. Having ran fuel before cryo I'll tell you what, cryo is the best gig around.

tscottme Thanks this.
  8. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    The cryo company I’m with is not a 3P carrier, the fuel carrier is a small potatoes carrier however.

I’m totally digging the Cryo side of things. Daytime work, good pay and benefits and an ability to do things outside of work. Not missing LTL linehaul one bit.

dwells40 Thanks this.
  9. Cali kid

Feb 15, 2011
    IE, CA
    Must be your market cryo drivers around here stay busy year round and money is definitely not an issue. Same as fuel drivers.

10. 379_largecar

379_largecar Light Load Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Louisville, ky
    Use cattle ear tags with a clip (d-ring) to mark your compartments. Yellow tag =diesel white tag=87 blue tag=mid grade red tag=premium. Like stated before have yourself a routine/checklist and follow it EVERY TIME. Don’t take shortcuts. Also always vent your tank especially if you pump any and make sure the tank your dropping into is vented as well. Good luck friend!
    P.s. hauling an empty tank full of fumes is just as dangerous as a fully loaded wagon

11. Cali kid

Feb 15, 2011
    IE, CA
    Read through my thread "the fuel hauler thread". Biggest one on here everything you could think of when it comes to fuel hauling.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.