New to industry looking for some advice

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by jmcass35, Jul 10, 2018.

1. jmcass35

jmcass35 Bobtail Member

Jul 10, 2018
    Hi,

New to the industry and have a few questions.

I have a 60 yard dump trailer with no tractor yet. Will be hauling mostly leaves/ wood chips and occasionally loam. It is larger and will be needing to go out of state. What type of permits might I need and also what specs of a truck I should be looking for?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Milr72

Milr72 Medium Load Member

Dec 16, 2011
    S W Missouri
    Sounds like you have the "cart" before the "horse"! lol

4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    It's interstate commerce. Any time you take something out of state.

Its been way too long since I thought in terms of yardage in freight. But Generally a 70 foot 5 axle tractor trailer can gross 80000 pounds. For that you need CDL A, Air brakes. Anything more such as hazmat, tanker etc involves more hoops and expense to go through. (Hazmat involves a face to face interview with TSA/.Homeland security and a wait of a period of time to be approved or not.)

One minor detail. DO NOT take a test for DMV in a auto truck. Your CDL will be stamped with a restriction against Manual tractor transmissions.

Im assuming you are not going to canada. That is a whole set of another can of monkeys. Or a barrel of them.

Remember. Anything you pick up and deliver INSIDE A STATE is INTRASTATE. ANY TIME YOU PICK UP AND CROSS A STATE LINE TO DELIVER it's INTERSTATE always. Always always.

Whatever state you touched during your year, you have to track the miles, fuel bought where and so forth. Among other things. You might need stickers for them. Depending on how you set up your papers, stickers and permits and so forth.

Insurance is another issue. A expensive one.

HOS divides logs over 150 miles provided that you exceed it. If you stay within 150 miles radius air miles of where you started the day at your farm, you must return to that farm at the end of day in order not to run logs. If you ended the day a mile down the road, that's a loggable problem.

When you go beyond 150 miles you need to log it. It becomes either a 60 hours in 7 days or 70 in 8. But again it gets worse than that if you only do it once a month or something.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    jmcass35 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.