New to me 1693 Cat - looking for upgrades

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by 1972RedNeck, Aug 20, 2018.

1. 1972RedNeck

1972RedNeck Light Load Member

Aug 20, 2018
    Picked up a 1977 W900A powered by a 1693 Cat with 60,000 on an inframe and fuel pump rebuild. Currently set to 325 HP (no JWAC) coupled to a 12513. A couple questions for any old timers on here:

1) The engine has an exhaust brake - no retarder and obviously no "Jake brake". I have access to a retarder (Brake Saver) off of a 3406B - will it bolt on the back of the 1693?

2) I will be installing a JWAC and having Cat set the pump to 425 (Maybe 475 - 500 if I can convince the mechanic to give me a little extra). Wondering if there is a turbo out there that would be an upgrade from the old T1810 windmill. Nothing wrong with it, but a turbo that would come on line a little quicker to clear up a little bit of the black smoke would be alright for sure...

This is obviously not going to be an over the road truck, just using it to feed my addiction to old iron.

DougA Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Pics of truck?

mtoo Thanks this.
  4. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    They don’t make an engine brake for a 1693.... only retarder.....

wore out Thanks this.
  5. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    Maybe a Pac brake after the turbo was added?

Not sure but I believe a b model retarder would fit the engine, but you would have to get an oil pan set up for a retarder.

It would be fun (but expensive) to try modern turbos on it. Maybe even a wastegate like a BW 177148.

I am just guessing at this stuff and have no experience with a 1693 other than having had the privilege of driving one.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  6. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Feeding an addiction can be costly $$$$$$..... I would just leave it original. Just to hear them idle and going thru the gears with that original 1693 rattling is priceless.

bzinger, MACK E-6, Hammer166 and 5 others Thank this.
  7. DougA

DougA Road Train Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Retired,In my shop in Md.
    Same here,never owned one,but had driven a few. Just an amazing experience.Cold idle,the clattering sounds like the pistons are changing holes. Take off and slowly feed her the fuel,and it just smooths out like a sewing machine,nothing but turbo whine,and feeling the torque.
    I owned nothing but Cummins my career,but I remember when these ruled the roost.Wasn't hard to identify when one passed you going up a grade. Just look under the back of the cab (cabover days) when he goes by,and you can see the back of that big overhead cam engine,nothing else looked like that. The big fast fleets used these in the pre 55 mph days,Carolina Western,Monfort,others that teamed cross country in 2 days. I remember them going by me in Arizona,New Mexico,like a bullet. Turned up 1693 TA,double 00 13 speeds. Sure there's stuff faster nowadays,but these were all mechanical,way before anything remotely computerized or electronic.
    Just a different era....good luck to the op,great truck!

8. DougA

DougA Road Train Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Retired,In my shop in Md.
    I just love old machinery of any kind.Trucks,tractors,cars,engines,etc. But I could just sit and listen to a 1693 Cat idle for hours. Nothing like the sound of a pre combustion,overhead cam,turboed diesel. I still remember the sound of them idling around the truckstops,watching them pull out on the road,big puff of black smoke at every gear change.
    Almost bought one back in the day,wish I would have.

9. 1972RedNeck

Aug 20, 2018
    Agreed. Truck currently has a seized up exhaust brake that I am trying to get working. Any tips? Been soaking it in loose juice and tapping it with a hammer.

B model retarder may fit, but I would have to source the 1693 retarder oil pan, oil cooler, and oil pump - turns out that B model parts are different.

If I could find a map of the old T1810 to compare with modern turbos, it wouldn't be too expensive as you could get pretty much right on the first try. Anyone have a T1810 compressor map?

I will be sure to snap some pics tomorrow - currently not too much of a looker, but it has potential.

Diesel Dave and Oxbow Thank this.
  10. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    Something I've read for good homemade solvent is brake fluid, and atf fluid. The cheapest old styles.
    And I thought the 1693 CAT were built up to 500hp??? No experience personally. Just a driver.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  11. 1972RedNeck

Aug 20, 2018
    I'm making headway. Just got to keep soaking and tapping.

According to internet rumors, 1693 were supposedly built up to 575 HP for use in yarders and were pretty good at spitting the occasional head gasket.

wore out and Oxbow Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.