New to OTR and the forum

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by Chrisnva, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Chrisnva

Chrisnva Bobtail Member

Aug 19, 2018
    Hey there, I’m 43 . I’ve held a class with hazmat in the state of VA for 10 years now. Drove reefers, dumpbodys, lowboys, for local waste water municipality for the first 5 years. Been a heavy equipment/diesel mechanic for the city exclusively for the last 5 years. Due to medical issues I can’t due the mechanical side anymore. ( no more long hot days lifting and pulling all day.) I am being cleared by cardiologist to drive full time though. I really am excited about it. I could sit around collecting disability or go drive and see the country. Disability will cover whatever lose of income I will incur while starting this new career move, so no stress about low pay to start. Now my question is what are the best OTR companies to start with that will not make me go back to school but let me train for awhile then turn me lose to “turn and burn”?

gokiddogo Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Roger Goodwin

Roger Goodwin Bobtail Member

Aug 15, 2018
    Welcome! I'm new too on the forum. Would love to hear some thoughts on this as well

4. #wishfulthinking

#wishfulthinking Light Load Member

Jun 9, 2018
    Central Iowa
    Welcome to OTR and this forum. We are happy to have you.
    Are you currently located in VA? Do you have a preference of Refer, Van, Flatbed, Tanker etc.? What kind of home time are you looking for?

Make sure you think about what you really want in a trucking company. That will help narrow down the field and make the decision process easier. Once you've narrowed the field, research the companies and talk to their drivers to get a feel for what working for them will be like before committing to a company so that you get started off on the right foot and not end up with a company that will leave such a bad taste in your mouth that it will discourage you from being a driver. Check out posts here about trucking companies (good & bad).

Our resident expert on trucking companies is @Chinatown. He has a lot of info on the companies and what they have to offer. He might chime in here and may be able to get you pointed in the right direction to begin with.

Best of luck & welcome aboard.

5. #wishfulthinking

#wishfulthinking Light Load Member

Jun 9, 2018
    Central Iowa
    Welcome aboard.

Chrisnva Thanks this.
  6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Abilene Motor Express might get you started. They seem to have a simple refresher course for drivers in your situation. Fill out an online application, then follow up with a phone call tomorrow.
    [​IMG]

7. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I am encouraged to see the view of the disability payments as "topping up the income" rather than the common way government payments are often thought of, as in, "where is the incentive to work? I will get the same amount of money."

This is how it is supposed to work. Good on you.

deathB4decaf and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  8. Chrisnva

Chrisnva Bobtail Member

Aug 19, 2018
    The way I see it. I am still healthy enough to produce in some way. I’m getting healthier everyday. Disability in my case is to let me heal up enough to get back to work not live on the rest of my life.

9. Chrisnva

Chrisnva Bobtail Member

Aug 19, 2018
    Really like flatbed or van. I want whatever is the most consistent. Really the only 2 things that I am really looking for in a company is that they allow me to have my dog with me and can bring my kids during spring and summer break. I’m very easy going. I had a heart attack at the age of 42. That caused me to really look at how I was as a person. I don’t sweat the small stuff anymore. I don’t get upset easily anymore. I know home time in the beginning is going to be limited even though it’s important my wife and I are prepared for a long first couple years. I’ve been really doing the research and this site has really good info. I’m not going into this thinking it’s going to be all rainbows and unicorns farting happy glitter on everything. But I believe it is what you make it. And I want to make this as enjoyable as working on the trucks was for me.

gokiddogo Thanks this.
  10. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Just watch your diet, the food is crap out here anymore. The old mom and pop truck stops with the nice little restaurant are long gone. To me, that is the worst part of this job.

11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Abilene Motor Express has family passenger policy and pet policy.

Chrisnva Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.