New To Tankers - Safe Access to the Top?

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Tacomatrd99, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Tacomatrd99

Tacomatrd99 Bobtail Member

Aug 19, 2018
    I recently posted another thread that after 16 years of not being a driver, I’m planning to leave my office job and get back into the seat. Though I grew up around dry vans, reefers, and moving vans, I’ve been always interested in tankers. Anyway, I have been offered a position with a local company that I’m about to accept. The position is home every night and pays what I’m looking to make. My question gets into accessing the top. I understand that in a lot of cases, I’ll need to climb the ladder to open the top hatch for the loading. In walking their yard today, the trailers have a single ladder up the side, but do not have a rail or anything on the top. I’m not afraid of the ladders, nor the height, but more keeping myself safe while being up there, especially in inclement weather. What does everyone do (besides careful footing, three points of contact, etc)? Is there personal fall protection that is used that gets tethered to the ladder (I currently work in construction and usually any fall hazard higher than 6’, you have to have a safety harness)?

Thanks in advance.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Not really.

In Bulk Tanking there is a silo above you. Next to the truck along the tanker is a human walkway. There is a weighted gangway that will drop down onto the tanker you can walk across onto the top of your trailer near the hatch.

God forgot to write this in the PREAMBLE to the 10 Commandments.

1- YOU WILL have the bulk tank emergency air dump valve OPEN at all times unless actually filling with air and unloading same. This is for a bulk cement tanker etc.

2- refer to number one. BEFORE YOU TOUCH that HATCH. Unbolting enough of the 7 bolts on there will throw your body about 70 yards downrange along with half the contents all around for 50 yards. It is very likely you will be dead before you hit the ground that far away, and you certainly will be shortly after impact. If it does not snap your neck (Merciful) it might collaspe many of your ribs, slash or punch your lungs and slowly fill the insides with blood to drown you in a few minutes causing your heart to seize up and stop very painfully after your lungs finally quit. usually about 30 seconds after lungs quit your heart attack will come on and hit you painfully. That will probably be your last impression as you pass from this life.

Third- Internal bleeding. This will take longer. And no less painful. Instant and expert surgery correctly applied will save you. Maybe. But usually your body will swell like a badly blown balloon such as your stomach area until you are grotesquely bulging twice your normal size. It will take longer to die and hurt more. At least you will gain unconsciousness as your blood pressure finally falls below that which keeps you alert prior to your death. Emphasis on going to hurt.

If this does not cause you to double check your bulk tanker before going up top religiously then I don't know what will.

Milk tankers and any other tanker you do not wear a harness that ties you to ladder. In fact with a gasoline tanker, you have nothing on you. No cell phones in particular. Espeically no cell phones. And nothing in your pockets etc.

You are going to be very careful with every move you make going up top, staying on top and getting back down. Trust me. If you FAIL TO PAY ATTENTION you are going to get badly hurt or dead. There is no ifs buts or maybes.

Njhandofdoom, Arky, 91B20H8 and 2 others Thank this.
  4. Tacomatrd99

Aug 19, 2018
    Thank you for the prompt reply. I had done a lot of searching before posting the question and found many sites and even responses on here similar to the comments about the pressure release and the dangers of it.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  5. justa_driver

justa_driver Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Tennessee
    Another thing about dry bulk tankers. Usually, where you load there will be a wash you can go through. Always do that if its available to wash the residue off the top of the trailer. Give it a thorough wash because if you dont and you go through a sprinkle rain, the top of that tanker will be like stepping on a sheet of ice, especially if you are hauling Lime or Potash A lot of places you deliver to will want you to get them a sample of the material from the top so they can test it, especially roofing companies. That was Excellent advise about the blowdown valve. Always make sure it is in the open position except when you are blowing off your load, so no pressure will build in the tank. You DO NOT want to open that top hatch if that trailer has any pressure in it, it could very easily kill you. Best policy is to look at the air pressure guage on the trailer and make sure its on zero and make sure the blowdown valve is open before you get on top of the trailer.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    brian991219, Tacomatrd99 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  6. scythe08

scythe08 Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2007
    Portland, Or
    Liquid tankers vary. Some have small platforms with rails. Some have walkways that go the entire length of the the tank. But most have just the ladder.

3 points of contact. No -slip shoes or boots. TAKE YOUR TIME.

But various safety protocols of the plants that you will pick up and deliver will also add variations to that process.

Some plants will no allow you to be in your own tanker. Some have platforms. Some make you wear a harness. A plant in Greenville, MS makes their employees get a man lift, with a cage to get their employees to the top of your tank, if you are loading or unloading in a spot that doesn't have a platform or walkway for the operator to access your tank.

The key thing though, take your time and 3 point stance.

Tacomatrd99 and brian991219 Thank this.
  7. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    It’s not the plants you have to worry about. It’s yards and tank wash where you pick your tank up from.
    You have to get up top to inspect the tank to make sure it’s clean and dry and to make sure the washout caps are tight.
    You just need to take your time and just be careful.

Tacomatrd99 Thanks this.
  8. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    If you're on top of the tank at night checking a wash-out or looking for retain, do NOT drop your flashlight in the tank. If you do drop your light in the tank, DO NOT climb down in there after it.
    I know, this should be common sense but it happens. It happens too often.

9. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Some pain in the butt shippers and receivers are requiring harness now......

You have to use the ladder as a anchor point....

Tacomatrd99 Thanks this.
  10. Tacomatrd99

Aug 19, 2018
    Thanks everyone. I actually stopped back by the yard again today to check out what the trailers are equipped with. Most of them look to be pretty substantial ladders and all have a grating platform that run from front to back (ladders are located on side, halfway of the length of the trailer). Only one trailer really concerns me. It’s ladder has round rungs, and at the top, curves towards to the top of the tank, similar to how a Kids ladder on a playground can. I did express my concern to the owner of the company on that one (I like to be upfront and honest), and he said “don’t put too much thought into it, you’ll get used to it”. I’ve also started looking into harnesses and think I would pick one up to be safe.

At the end of the conversation, I verbally accepted the position and now just have to put in my notice.

11. AM14

AM14 Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Jefferson Twp. NJ
    It sounds silly to say but actually look at what you are about to put weight on. welds pop and sometimes you can hear or see loose platforms. Ladders get hit all the time at the tank wash. It might not look mangled, but could have broken mounting points. tweak the ladder, tweak the platform and so on.

Also, some of our wider tanks only have maybe 2-3 inches between the step and the tank. It makes it rather unsettling trying to get a firm footing on a 1/2" flat stock step with big steel toes and you can pretty much only get your toes on it. Like everyone said, just take your time and pay attention

Tacomatrd99 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.