new to the business

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by silfre174, Sep 28, 2019.

1. Snyy1029

Snyy1029 Bobtail Member

Oct 28, 2019
    Like have work loads first ? Or couple months of insurance payments set aside ? For loads are you using central dispatch or brokers ? What brokers would work with a new cdl (few months old) and no work experience ? Is it possible to get leased on with no experience?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Eek010887

Eek010887 Bobtail Member

Oct 10, 2019
    All of the above. Definitely have money set aside after ALL startup cost. I can't answer the questions of finding work because it is a little harder being that I don't have my Interstate Authority at this moment. Also many brokers from what "I" have found don't care how long you have been a CDL holder or how long you've had your own authority, just so long as you have the coverage's needed. This is just my finding so it may be different for you. Hope this helps.

Snyy1029 Thanks this.
  4. Kozakvod

Kozakvod Medium Load Member

Jan 24, 2013
    $16,500? OMG and yes I know there are higher numbers out there. But in the current market condition we’re in I’d be real hard pressed to jump into this business. It’s a very tough conditions right now.

My insurance just renewed at $11,620 with $350k cargo on a 9-car. That’s with Northland Southern County Mutual.

Their deal is that you must have a minimum of 7 yrs auto hauling experience and no more than a 1 year break in that 7 yr experience. And you need to have a very good credit report. No claims in last 3 years.

They’re not easy to get in with but if you can it’s worth it.

Progress and the likes of them are a joke.

Lite bug Thanks this.
  5. Eek010887

Eek010887 Bobtail Member

Oct 10, 2019
    Thank you so much for the reply. I look to shop around around every year before renewal. It was very hard to even find ANYONE who would write me a policy. I will definitely keep them in mind next year.

6. Explorerspl

Explorerspl Bobtail Member

Jun 17, 2019
    Don't carsarrive/ready/metrogistics require 90 days? Just got my trailer and waiting to get CDL to start, out of Jacksonville FL

7. CarhaulingKev

CarhaulingKev Bobtail Member

Oct 4, 2018
    working with Metrogistics will be the quickest way for your new business to fail. WORST rates in the industry.

Tropsnart, Ziggy319, Doealex and 2 others Thank this.
  8. Kozakvod

Kozakvod Medium Load Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Thinking the exact same thing.

9. Eek010887

Eek010887 Bobtail Member

Oct 10, 2019
    Yes, I agree those rates would put me out of business. I am not sure if they require 90 days or not.??? I don't use any of them.

10. Ziggy319

Ziggy319 Medium Load Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Syracuse,ny
    Last I heard. ready was 1 year minimum.

11. Tropsnart

Tropsnart Road Train Member

Jun 8, 2015
    Pavilion New York
    The guy who was an owner operator under me says he still can't get in with ready. He has been in business over a year now. First they wanted a year in business, now they told him they are hard pressed to keep the carriers already running for them busy. So they aren't taking new carriers according to him.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.