New to the forum. ??? A in central Michigan.

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by MWatts9728, Sep 7, 2018.

1. MWatts9728

MWatts9728 Bobtail Member

Sep 7, 2018
    Hello Ladies and gentlemen,
    First off I like to thank you all for the good reads. I've found myself here many a times as I look for answers. Now I've officially joined and have my chance to say hello and Thank you.
    I recently moved to Alma Michigan from Los Angeles CA. And I'm ready for the next job. Got many good offers but I'm really only considering two offers. Which are completely different jobs. The 1st. Up for consideration is a local day cab gig with Martin Brower. It's a huge company and with that comes Security and strange rules passed down from desk jockeys. I'd should get home every day but got a 30 mile commute each way. The second up for consideration is Avalon & Tahoe Boats it a Regional/O.T.R. gig with most weekends spent back at home. And regular chances to visit home between loads if merrily for a piece, meal & a shower or a 10 hour IDK. It may theoretically wind up being for less pay but I think the smaller company environment may just be worth it.
    Can anybody here offer advice? I've done a pro's and Con's list where each company was graded between 0-5 in many different categories. I was hoping for a landslide easy discussion though it ended up much closer than expected. 83 points to Avalon & Tahoe boats, 80 points to Martin Brower. And advice would be appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Mathew

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
    Kyle G. Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Welcome aboard! What's the plan?

Puppage Thanks this.
  4. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    This is the greatest place on planet Earth. Just say’n.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  5. MWatts9728

Sep 7, 2018
    Hello Chinatown & Puppage, it's nice to meet you both. I edited that post because I didn't mean to post until it was done. My fat fingers Vs tiny touchscreens.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I'd go for boat hauling over food service any time. I used to haul for Pro-Craft and only had to deal with people at boat dealerships which were pretty nice people. Food service is 180 out.
    [​IMG]
    Only time I didn't deadhead back to the factory in Tennessee, was if there was a boat return I had to pick up somewhere.

7. MWatts9728

Sep 7, 2018
    I'm leaning the same way honestly because boats are something I like as a avid Angler. Sure I like food too but McDonald's not so much.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Food service work can be really stressful. Many customers/managers try to steal off the trucks or claim there's a shortage, when there really isn't. The reason for this is it makes their inventory look better and profits higher.

9. #wishfulthinking

#wishfulthinking Light Load Member

Jun 9, 2018
    Central Iowa
    Welcome aboard. If it were me, I'd go for the boat gig. I worked at Martin Brower in Iowa. The new drivers always get extra board until a regular route opens up. Once you get your own route, they go up for re-bid every year. The drivers there made good money, but often had weird hours. It's also labor intensive. Hand unloading your truck through the side door at multiple stops. Not so bad in the spring -fall months, but can be brutal in the winter months.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  10. rda2580

rda2580 Heavy Load Member

Feb 22, 2012
    Lower Michigan
    Welcome aboard Mwatts! Not sure if your originally from Michigan or not but it does get a little colder up here! I would consider whichever job keeps me out of the freezing rain first and foremost. Snow isnt awful to work in to me, but that freezing rain crap really sucks and makes for a long day. Just saying!

Chinatown Thanks this.
  11. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    Welcome to the forum! Regardless of the type of freight, my first impulse was to lean toward the home daily job simply because it is home daily. But then I realized the few home daily driving jobs I have had, including my current one, have all been for smaller companies. A local job for a large company is likely a whole different animal from what I am used to. You would likely have to slip seat which would be a major turn off for me, plus all the corporate nonsense you will have to endure.

So my official position is, go haul boats! I think you will appreciate the small-company atmosphere much more than whatever benefits the local job comes with.

rda2580 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.