New to the forum - Help obtaining required 150-160hrs

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by G.D.S, Aug 11, 2021.

1. G.D.S

G.D.S Bobtail Member

Aug 11, 2021
    Hey Truckers,

Looking to get some notable advice on recommendation/out-of the box thinking with meeting the required 150-160hrs for new CDL hires?

Currently I reside out of NYC, but planning on relocating to the mid-southeast region of Florida by the end of the month, or early September, if all goes as plan. I am potentially looking to see if I qualify for any grants or programs through the Sage trucking school out of Florida - where I could lock in those 100+hrs, but I've already drop 2K out of pocket in NY to attain my CDL, and I not looking forward to kicking out another 2K or even 6K for that matter right about now. I'd really like the freedom to pave my way financially in this field(Trucking), but I'm really trying to avoid signing off to an OTR meg carrier(Swift, Werner...etc) for a whole year or 2 just to get my mileage qualification for new hire opportunity elsewhere.

Any suggestions for those strapped on cash, yet willing to approach this conundrum outside of the traditional approach of signing with Meg carrier Or shedding a couple K's out of pocket just to log qualified mileage for hiring purposes through a school? Are there any Owner Ops who holds their authority out in Fl who I can Log time officially where its captured to a drivers CDR(Driving record)? Or would it be wise to settle for a position has a helper for a driver under a municipal agency working towards said hours necessary for a Class A holder seeking employment for qualified hours behind the wheel?

Any an all suggestions are Welcome. And to ALL who acknowledged this post my sincere gratitude for your insight. I pray the day will come I will be on the other-side of a post to share my 2 cents where needed.

Many Thanks :)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 88 Alpha

88 Alpha Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 12, 2012
    SouthEast Alabama
    Almost sounds like somewhere in the triangle of Sebring to Melbourne to Port St. Lucie. If that's the case, you may end up having to expand your residency desires a little closer to Orlando so you can be within a better commuting distance to all of the LTL companies. Many of them have a dock-to-driver program where they would train you themselves and you would then be on the road to making very decent wages in the freight haulers world. Check out the LTL and Local Delivery section of this forum to gain a better understanding of what I mean.

BigBob410 Thanks this.
  4. G.D.S

G.D.S Bobtail Member

Aug 11, 2021
    @88 Alpha Thanks for the feedback I'll look in to that now. :)

88 Alpha Thanks this.
  5. mnmover

mnmover Road Train Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Lichfield MN
    YRC will put you through their program and pay you when you are in school, then put you to work.

6. G.D.S

G.D.S Bobtail Member

Aug 11, 2021
    @mmover - Much appreciated on the insight. I've checked out the training grounds for YRC(per their listings) and it seems there schools are a bit out of reach for me right about now. Currently I reside in the boroughs in NYC, and I know YRC has a terminal in the BX, but according to there website I'd have to train at one of there schools for the first 4 weeks, and conclude out of my local terminal. By chance have you heard or witness otherwise? More specific to recent grads training from their local terminals instead of going thru their school? Cause if that's a possibility I'd definitely apply if I have a chance. Thx in advance :)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.