New to trucking. How will CRST get me home to Northern Calif?

Discussion in 'CRST' started by 4Bear, Jul 26, 2012.

1. 4Bear

4Bear Bobtail Member

Jul 24, 2012
    I have no experience and a fresh Class A with all the endorsements. I am considering CRST or Swift. CRST looks like a tighter ship for taking on people with no experience, but Swift is closer to where I live east of Sacramento with their terminal in Lathrop. I've talked to a CRST recruiter who says they can get me home because I can take a truck home, but there is no place around where I live to park one. They seemed kind of vague about other places to the south like Stockton and Modesto for places to park a truck. But if I had a car, I still would need a reliable commute between where I live and where ever the trucks are and a reliable place to park. I don't have a car yet and so until then I need access to a bus at least.

Are there any CRST drivers out there in Nothern California? How do you cope with the lack of terminals up here?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CenutryClass

CenutryClass Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2006
    There are alot of companies down in Sacramento, why settle for two of the worst training companies out there?

Alot of freight runs off 80 so i suggest you do some more homework. look on craigslist even.

Off-n-on Thanks this.
  4. 4Bear

4Bear Bobtail Member

Jul 24, 2012
    I've been looking on Craig's List, that's where I found Swift and CRST. I don't see anyone else taking on inexperienced drivers at all on Craig's List. I took a clue from the image you posted for Con-Way and had a look to see if they had something in Northern California and they didn't as near as I could see. Whatever else you can say about CRST and Swift, they are ready to take you on where ever you are at.

Maybe you could suggest somebody in Sacramento. We do have a lot of freight moving around up here. They used to train new drivers to haul tomatos around here, but they don't do that any more. In West Sacramento I see a lot of trucking going on, but if they are looking for drivers with no experience, I'm not seeing it. I'm ready to do more homework, but I don't see any clues to hunt down further.

And I'd still like to hear from Northern California CRST drivers or anyone who knows about what a Northern California CRST driver can expect for getting home.

5. FatDaddy

FatDaddy Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Katy, TX or Swedesboro, NJ
    There is a drop yard in Stockton where you can park the truck. That's as close as you will get if you can't bring the truck home

4Bear Thanks this.
  6. 4Bear

4Bear Bobtail Member

Jul 24, 2012
    Does CRST own the yard? Could I park a car there? I did a quick search for "drop yard" and "Stockton" and came up with an address about 5 miles south of Lodi. Is that the place? That's a lot closer than Lathrop. And Lodi has an Amtrak station.

7. FatDaddy

Dec 23, 2008
    I can't give you a definite answer because I know they moved yards right before I left there..but that would be the general area. Your best bet is to ask a recuriter for the address of the yard..if they don't know have them get it for you or call the main number yourself ad speak to somebody in operations. Then call the yard itself and see if they allow car parking. I know some of the yards they use around the county allow you to park and some dont

4Bear Thanks this.
  8. keemieg23

keemieg23 Bobtail Member

Jul 27, 2012
    You should try Schnieder...

9. vinsanity

vinsanity Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2009
    South Florida
    Maybe your co-driver will have a place to park. Or you two could split the cost of parking at the 49er.

10. cool35

cool35 Heavy Load Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Everywhere
    What he said. I worked for CRST and not one of their drivers had a good thing to say about them. You will never get home and make nothing. I was on a dedicated run so I was home every week end. Only made $980 a week but trucking is more of a hobby for me now. Reddaway doesn't pay very good either but I like working here.

11. FatDaddy

Dec 23, 2008
    I always made it home when I reqested and made decent money. Now u know somebody who has something good to say about them

Dubious Bravado and 4Bear Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.