New to trucking

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by Eric1990, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Eric1990

Eric1990 Bobtail Member

Aug 6, 2011
    Savannah TN
    I am starting my journey as a trucker on monday. I decided to do the cdl program with Prime Inc. out of Springfield Missouri. Im mostly excited to get started but a part of me is worried. I have always been fascinated with 18 wheelers, so now that Im 21 I am gonna drive one. I can at least try it out for a year, since that is primes requirement. If after the year I dont like it, I will proceed with my music education degree.
    So wish me luck on my trucking journey, and that I make it through training, lol.
    Eric Deshazier

Gears Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    Whether you stick with trucking or not, I would encourage you to complete your education. Things can and do happen to people which can shorten your career in this industry. It will help to keep a door open for you. Later in life you will likely regret not completing your degree. Many people will take classes on the internet while on the road. You will have some down time every now and then. You may as well make good use of it.

Gears, Diesel Dave and Eric1990 Thank this.
  4. Rick Brown

Rick Brown Light Load Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Monroe NC
    I'll give you the advice a truck driver gave me on one of my first trips OTR. We were driving up the WV turnpike, before it was completed and were in the 2 land section still, and talking on the CB. He told me to, "always drive where you feel comfortable". "Don't let other drivers out there talk crap and force you to drive faster than you want, or longer than you want".

I stuck to those wise words for 19 years, and they did fine by me.

Eric1990 and Gears Thank this.
  5. Eric1990

Eric1990 Bobtail Member

Aug 6, 2011
    Savannah TN
    I will remember that. Thankyou.

6. thePianoMan

thePianoMan Bobtail Member

Aug 7, 2011
    North Dakota
    You and me are pretty similar...haha...I'm a music major too...but I basically got my CDL as a summer job during college. I ended up working for a local elevator that would have someone ride with me when I had my permit and they would provide a truck for the test...I got paid to get my CDL...no truckers school or anything...

I've ended up to love driving truck, but I'm still in school. Next summer I'm thinking about finding a different company to work for to maybe get some longer hauls. The longest haul I've had at this job was about 150 miles...average is under 100...that just amounts to many trips a day...

Anyway, I think it's awesome that there's another 21 year old trucker who's also a music major!

7. Gears

Gears Trucker Forum STAFF - Gone, But Not Forgotten.

Aug 20, 2009
    It's good to have options, but sometimes folks won't "give it there all" when they know they have such a parachute.

Welcome to the forum!

8. twentyninetimes

twentyninetimes Light Load Member

Aug 7, 2011
    Watford City, ND
    Hi,
    I am a longtime reader of the forum..nice to meet you.

9. Brutus1051

Brutus1051 Bobtail Member

Aug 7, 2011
    Brunswick, GA
    Hey Ya'll,
    I'm finishing CDL School next week. Looking at a flatbed regional company, but I've been told FBs are difficult to drive. The company I'm looking at has Macks and are automatics. Not sure if I should do this or go with US Xpress. I have a friend finishing up with his trainer and about to join his wife driving. He's loving life in the truck and being OTR. Need some comments from Y'all.

10. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Im NOT trying to bust anyone's bubble, but is "Y'all" in the english dictionary ?

11. crzyjarmans

crzyjarmans Road Train Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Home
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.