New to trucking

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Dead_Presidents, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Dead_Presidents

Dead_Presidents Bobtail Member

Dec 27, 2006
    I am looking into starting a small trucking company. I was talking with a friend he just started his a few weeks ago and was giving some advice and details about it and how to start it. I have a full time job right now and looking to start something on my own.

What i have so far is, i would start a LLC company, buy a used truck, find a driver, get a license to be deliveries in 48 states and go through a broker at first for work until i am able to get something on my own. This is how my friend went about it and now is up to his 3rd truck in just a few weeks. i know i dont have all the blanks filled in but i was looking to do someting along the lines of what he was doing.

i have been reading alot of post for a week now about ideas and stuff but i was wondering if anyone has some advice or tips on how to start a young entrepreneur.

thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I am not sure on how? I will say a friend of mine started his with just 1 and now has like 10, and it has been a few years now, but hey he is growing and not decreasing? That is how it all starts! I WISH YOU GOOD LUCK and don't LET GO OF YOUR DREAM! I know he got on boards to get loads and he does other things for income to adjust for stuffy (repairs etc). He is doing good though and is well 30 right now! OK GOOD LUCK, Sorry to chime in, but wanted to give you some HOPE it can be DONE!

HAPPY NEW YEAR

4. WD Express

WD Express Bobtail Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Mine friend start 18 monts ago with 1 and now hi has 5 truck and Hi like what his do . I think hi is ok with this and YES can be done.

5. Dead_Presidents

Dead_Presidents Bobtail Member

Dec 27, 2006
    I am still going to be working full time. This is something too make some extra money on the side and if it turns into something bigger it would be even better. But i was looking to see if i had the right way of going about it in my original post. I was looking to see if someone else can give their prespective about starting one if there is anything else i should know or tips that would help.

6. Matthews

Matthews Medium Load Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Akron,OH
    Im for sure going to have to watch what I say in this reply, and try to be as nice as possible. ( breath ) ok....

First off, Think about this...
    Ask yourself the question, IF I didnt have a driver can my truck still run and pay for its self? AUTO answer: NO....

Im not trying to bust your bubble, but what im trying to share with you is... IF your not a driver, or dont plan on driving... Stay away from the trucks....

You may be a good business man, but your not a driver. YOU cant and are not willing to get into the truck yourself and work it....

EVER heard of the Company
    Werner Enterprises ?

Did you know that the Owner of that MULTI BILLION dollar company STILL drives his OWN truck from time to time?

If you yourself cant give your TRUCK, or YOUR company 100% right from the start? DONT reply to the post... It takes EVERYTHING we've GOT and more to stay stable.

Im sorry for being blunt but You sound like a guy to me who see's the CASH FLOW, and a Get rich Industry.
    Trucking is not that at all.....

As a fleet owner, or O/O it's a LIFE... Its OUR life... We ourselves have DRIVEN the business to what it IS, and WILL be.....

NOT to brag And I mean that... Im just letting you in on a few things...Im my life....My company (MY) trucks....

The TRUCKs are driven by 1 FT driver Myself, and a PT driver.
    I own 2 Trucks at this time, and bought the 3rd one Today if the man will take what Im offering him.

That's a TOTAL of 3 TRUCK ( Owned ) outright. No banks involved.
    In fact The reason I pay cash for the Trucks is because I files chapter 11 not 5 years ago DO to a divorce. I lost Everything!!!!!!!

I asked the bank for just $5,000 and I actually had $2000 in their. They refused my LOAN! After banking their for 15+ YEARS.... I got pissed TOLD the LOAN officer you all just made on hell of a mistake.
    I pulled my checking to another bank and WILL not deal with them ever again,....

Anyways, where I was going with this is below.....

3 TRUCKS Owned outright .....

PAYROLL costs us around $6,000 PM
    FUEL Costs us $7,000 PM give or take some
    INSURE & Other COSTS $4000
    Total Company COSTS $17,200 PM

Can I also state to YOU that I get the SAME and sometimes LESS than my other drivers... You wont believe that but its NO lie....

Now for the Numbers you wanna see .. .. .
    I'll run a GOOD Month for you... ok?

Week1
    Mon $1350 Tues$1300 Weds $1740 Thur $1605 Fri $1450
    WEEK End: $7,445
    Week2
    Mon$4,520 Tues$2300 Weds $1840 Thur $1605 Fri $1450
    WEEK End:$10,110
    Week3
    Mon$2,520 Tues$7300 Weds $4840 Thur $7605 Fri $2450
    WEEK End:$17,110
    Week4
    Mon $3350 Tues$6600 Weds $1840 Thur $2605 Fri $1850
    WEEK End: $16,245

PM GROSS:$50,910 Month end Net:$33,710

Now, You need to do what my father told me.... If you want it... Go get it.. And to get it your going to have to work for it....

We haul HEAVY, Oversize, Over width, RGN .... FLATs, DROPS, Steps...

It's HARD work, and To be honest.... We are not paid well for the time we all have in the company by the end of a work week.
    Our back's hurt, we get dirty and sometimes get sick, on top of already being sick from tarping in the COLD rain...

If YOU dream man want it... I've layed it out for you....

GET a GOOD, CPA and accountant... Because your going to need em!

Spilled my guts,
    Matthew

I forgot to tell you, You'll acquire REAL FAST.... a new best friend ... Guess who that will be?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.