new too the business, how to find good freight

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by rulonwaholla, Aug 24, 2017.

1. rulonwaholla

rulonwaholla Light Load Member

Nov 6, 2013
    well i used too do garbage so i sold my equipment an bought a reefer an a new truck is tough but i learning the tricks little by little

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hype6477

Hype6477 Light Load Member

Jun 19, 2015
    Socal
    Good luck took me a year to make money....

rulonwaholla Thanks this.
  4. rulonwaholla

Nov 6, 2013
    yeah seems like that but now i found the tricks with these theif brokers

5. boredsocial

boredsocial Road Train Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    Be careful about thinking about brokers that way.

1) It will make it easier for you to mentally justify bad behavior. Bad behavior that will end up posted on IT, DAT, and/or TIA. These bad marks + a new MC are pretty much fatal. Having to do your first year again with a new MC will cost you a lot just in insurance.

2) They will be able to tell you don't like/trust them at all and they will make decisions accordingly. I have pretty strict carrier selection guidelines.. that I constantly violate when I get a good feeling about someone. With this kind of attitude I won't get that good feeling and I won't use you. You may think you're slick, but that slickness will create it's own kind of vibe... A vibe I've felt plenty of times before and associate with #### trucks.

None of this is to say that there aren't plenty of crap brokers out there who will do you wrong. It's just that you shouldn't be doing business with these sorts of characters more than once, and you should be doing a LOT of business with brokers you actually like. As a % of your loads the actual numbers of '#### this guy' loads should be pretty low. If you feel like all brokers are scumbags who are out to get you you're doing something wrong.

I've definitely seen this exact phenomenon on the brokerage side as well. There are lots of brokers who pretty much only look for the cheapest possible truck and think all trucking companies are the scum of the earth. They feel this way because the only people who will work with them suck. It's a sickness.

6. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    That 4.9 mpg is going to kill you I think. A new truck today like the company truck I'm driving now get 7.8 mpg. The national fuel charge is based on something like 6.5 mpg. That mean if fuel goes up you losing even more money because you can't even keep up.

A $2.25 a gallon and 5 mpg that's $0.45 cents per mile for fuel. $2.25 at 7.8 is $0.28 cents per mile. Drive 120,000 miles a year at $0.45 that's $54,000 for fuel or $0.28 for 120,000 miles is $33,600. That's a lot of profits going out the exhaust. That's how people can move freight cheaper then you and still make money.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  7. Pepper24

Pepper24 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2010
    As sad earlier fuel mileage is killing your profits.Be careful about buying in to broker bashing as some like to do ,I really doubt a lot even pull broker freight .when I ran for brokers I found some really good ones ,but the major brokers it's hard to get those good paying loads ( TQL,land star,CH )and so on so I would only use if I needed to get to a certain area.)Gokiddogo gave good advice keep track of brokers and loads from them work with ones giving good loads build a relationship. Everything is sales can you sale your services,maybe you hate brokers but you decided to go in business where your lively hood is on them they the broker are your customers .Its not easy negotiating brokers they are almost always better at negotiating than you simply because that's what they do all day everyday with shippers and then again with carriers.know what you need to make money

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
    JL of Indiana Thanks this.
  8. rulonwaholla

Nov 6, 2013
    i mean before i was calling the brokers now they call me i post the truck an i huat wait for them too call me im getting better pay like that instead of me calling them

slow.rider and JL of Indiana Thank this.
  9. firecatf7333

firecatf7333 Light Load Member

Oct 28, 2012
    $4900 in 4 days isn't bad depending on how many miles you did. Rates now are decent so if you think the rates are cheap now wait until they fall back down again.

10. rulonwaholla

Nov 6, 2013
    to tell u the truth i ran less then 2000 miles thas true but i think big mistake was getting the w900 dont get me wrong great truck i had a previous one an i love the ride but im going back too the dealer an see what can i do too take out a t680 or a t700 more fuel friendly

JL of Indiana Thanks this.
  11. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    I'm not a big fan of trading soley based on fuel mileage. Make sure you aren't stepping over a dollar to pickup a dime. Figure out the difference in mpg between what you have and what you're looking at buying. Then see what the additional difference in price is to trade. If it's gonna take 3+ years to break even, it really doesn't make any sense.

Ruthless, SL3406, Tug Toy and 3 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.