new too the business, how to find good freight

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by rulonwaholla, Aug 24, 2017.

1. boredsocial

boredsocial Road Train Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    I think OP will be fine... at least until the freight market takes a #### again. His timing for entering the business was perfect. I feel like every trucking company I tried to form a relationship with that started from 8/2014-1/2016 went out of business.

EDIT: Don't take that as a compliment lol. No offense, but I sincerely doubt you entered the market with perfect timing on purpose. In 5 years when you're doing pretty good please don't tell yourself that nothing ever went right for you. You really weren't supposed to survive... But it's better to be lucky than good. Now you'll get a chance to become good before the next cold period. Best be ready.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
    JL of Indiana and rulonwaholla Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rulonwaholla

rulonwaholla Light Load Member

Nov 6, 2013
    update on the fuel i got in contact with nastc im working on it thnks for giving me information about nadtc fuel card i didnt know about it. soo far truck giving me 5.1mpg just cruising. my next pick up today i booked with armstrong 1300 for 430 miles included deadhead tht leaves me at 3.03 a mile

4. loudtom

loudtom Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2016
    Have you tried driving slower yet to save on fuel? I usually get between 6.5 and 7 mpg driving 65 mph with a D16 engine. The one time I had to rush delivery at 75 mph I got around 5 mpg. If I accelerate easier and coast to slow down I get closer to 7. Even if you save .5 mpg, it is substantial.

rulonwaholla and dan31186 Thank this.
  5. rulonwaholla

Nov 6, 2013
    im going too do 65mph this whole week see the diference

loudtom Thanks this.
  6. rulonwaholla

Nov 6, 2013
    well guys let me tell you i guess i been bless or lucky im in the procese of getting a direct customer im picking up on a moms an pops farm an they telling me they have hard time getting a truck 3 times a week up here an no one wants too deliver into NYC soo im trying too cut a deal with them that i would promise have my truck here when they need it i just need too stay around them.

Poptko Thanks this.
  7. boredsocial

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    Make sure you check credit driver. Mom and pops farm sometimes is having trouble getting trucks because nobody will lend them money. If their credit is not-so-strong I'd be asking that they pay you directly after you deliver every load before you run another one. Explain it as being your financial problem and if need be offer a slight discount (like 1-2% tops) for it.

EDIT: Not so strong means less than a 75 on Ansonia. Ask your factoring company to run their credit if you have one and ask them if they offer no-recourse financing. Don't actually take the offer just time how long they hesitate before agreeing.

Ideally you'd like to setup terms of payment with the direct customer that let you get rid of your factoring company ASAP. Before you can do that though you need to be sure they are safe to lend to.

8. brandonkinglv

brandonkinglv Bobtail Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Might be the best post I've ever seen. Do you have reefer freight? Would like to work with you if so. PM me your info

9. boredsocial

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    I can't PM because I'm a broker apparently. I've asked management of the site if I might be a valid exception to the rule. They haven't really responded to it.

Yeah I move a lot of Reefer stuff from 5/1-11/1 working the high paying end of Southeast- Midwest each way as the produce season bounces around. Might be moving hard into deck freight over the next year though.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
    rulonwaholla Thanks this.
  10. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    4.9 mpg...truck looks so cool though! ;-)

11. boredsocial

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    At least it's a logical defense for why having a 'good attitude' is +EV.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.