New trailer GVWR

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by midcon, May 25, 2020.

1. longhaultransport

longhaultransport Light Load Member

Dec 25, 2009
    West Central, Florida
    In my opinion, (and it's just mine), I would not run that heavy with a pick up truck. Neither the 350, 450 or 550 is designed for that type of work, on a regular basis. Once in a while around town or on the farm, sure.

Either stay under 26,000 or move up to cdl single axle tractor.

singlescrewshaker and midcon Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. midcon

midcon Light Load Member

Apr 11, 2020
    I’ve had my CDL for years so that’s not an issue. I’m committed for now so I’ll run what I have and if the 450 craps out I’ll get a pre electronics single axle tractor.

You should take a look under a 2020 F450 if you haven’t. They are built stout.

singlescrewshaker Thanks this.
  4. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    I know this can be done at anytime when requested after purchase. I do not know if it would work at time of purchase to help with FET. Just spitting ideas. If they know what you are doing the most likely answer is no.

But I do agree with not spending the money on a med duty or light duty truck for that weight. They are to expensive for the capacity. Step up to a higher class truck my opinion.

midcon and singlescrewshaker Thank this.
  5. longhaultransport

Dec 25, 2009
    West Central, Florida
    Yeah I have my cdl also, but prefer to run under 26,000.

I've owned and worn out several f450's but I'm in a 2020 f350 now.

I know the f450 has bigger brakes, bigger axles, bearings, and 19.5 commercial tires, but it's still a Ford Super Duty with the same frame, engine, transmission as all of them, unless you buy a cab and chassis.

If you are committed to it you might as well run it.

singlescrewshaker and midcon Thank this.
  6. midcon

midcon Light Load Member

Apr 11, 2020
    I’m gonna run it for now as it’s what I have. If it starts giving me problems I’ll swap to something bigger and put the 450 on the farm. The trailer should be good for a while at least, as I have no intentions of ever exceeding its capacity.

What kind of life were you getting out of the 450’s in the past? I would hope it would last a couple years / 200k miles or so before calling it quits.

singlescrewshaker Thanks this.
  7. longhaultransport

Dec 25, 2009
    West Central, Florida
    It wasn't the 450 it was the engine. They were the 6.4's and neither of them went 200k miles.

Nothing but problems, constantly. HPFP failures not covered by Ford warranty. 10k repair bills. Cab off repair with lots of down time. EGR & DPF constant problems. I quit driving and got a day job.

Check out the S&S CP4 bypass disaster prevention kit. I'm not sure if they make one for the 2020 yet.

midcon Thanks this.
  8. midcon

midcon Light Load Member

Apr 11, 2020
    I’ll check that out. I had a 2011 6.7 and I put a Dieselsite secondary filter setup on it to catch any water. It worked very well but they don’t make one for current year models.

Lite bug and singlescrewshaker Thank this.
  9. baerpath

baerpath Light Load Member

Nov 2, 2019
    That’s good to hear on axle ratings. I bought a new F450 and adding a few things to make it hold up better. I don’t plan on maxing it out constantly but there’s a fair amount of work out there in the 20-24k payload range and it should handle that for a while as that’ll put it around 44k gross.

I've been doing that with a F450 since 2015 Tons of work out there doing that range. Locals just look at me as being a pickup with a trailer so that helps in HOA's and other regulated areas

midcon Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.