New truck for 85k

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Mr.Armz, Aug 17, 2021.

1. Mr.Armz

Mr.Armz Bobtail Member

Aug 17, 2021
    I am looking to getting into hotshot in the coming months..I will be finishing cdl school and planned on leasing on to a company as a owner operator for first 3-6 months before going on my own. I have some money sat aside to get equipment but the prices seem outrageous. I was recently quoted approximately 85k all in for a 2022 ram 3500 dually with a few extra options that I figured would be reasonable due to so much seat time. I also thought that going new would be best to minimize repair cost due to warranties. My question is being though I have never bought a 3500 dually do you guys think that price is reasonable and would you buy such a truck for the purposes of hotshotting?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    Sure!

Lite bug and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  4. 24kHotshot

24kHotshot Heavy Load Member

Feb 19, 2019
    New York
    85k is a lot of money for a truck that will be mostly used up in 3 years. I bought a decked out tradesman cab and chassis 2 years ago for 60k with a hitchcrafters bed. I wish I listened to people here that told me to buy a single axle semi instead. Sleeping in a pickup gets old really fast. The trucks starts struggling over 30k lbs gross and stopping power fully loaded is pretty bad. Parts are hard to come by. A simple breakdown can take months to fix. I just waited 3.5 months for a sensor my truck needed.

Just last month I bought a near mint 2017 Freightliner Cascadia Evolution 72' sleeper DD15 with 79k miles for $83,500. This truck has parts available everywhere and should last me a long time with the bonus of actual comfort with more than enough power to pull any hotshot load with tons of stopping power.

If you are dead set on buying a ram at least get a 5500. Even better get a long wheelbase single cab and get a sleeper built on it. 19.5 inch tires last at least twice as long as the crappy 17 inch that come on the 3500. Also a bigger rear axle that won't be so easily overweight.

5. Mr.Armz

Mr.Armz Bobtail Member

Aug 17, 2021

6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    They "claim" to have these 30k lb and above tow ratings but they really aren't designed to last 5-10 years doing that daily.

7. Mr.Armz

Mr.Armz Bobtail Member

Aug 17, 2021
    I briefly looked at semis but the cost of entry seemed so much higher and while the trucks had higher miles on them
    As you can see I’m still learning to use the forum. I appreciate your response. I also thought it was a lot of money and chalked it up to production shortages. So you don’t subscribe to what is often said regarding lower operating cost of the hotshot setup?

8. 24kHotshot

24kHotshot Heavy Load Member

Feb 19, 2019
    New York
    This is a complicated question with lots of variables that would take too long to list and calculate.
    I'm leaning at the cost of the semi being less in the long run.
    Costs per mile seem to be about the same for me.

9. stuckinthemud

stuckinthemud Medium Load Member

Oct 20, 2013
    @24kHotshot Brought up the problems of living and sleeping in pickup truck cab . Ain't fun

Lite bug and 24kHotshot Thank this.
  10. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    Experience speaking

24kHotshot Thanks this.
  11. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    Great answer !

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.