New Truck, or Used Truck?

Discussion in 'Prime' started by JahB, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Working Class Patriot

Working Class Patriot Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Wherever and Whenever...
    Just the thought of a Freightshaker...ugh.....

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JahB

JahB Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2008
    WASHINGTON/OREGON border
    Well, I don't know if I'm deadicated enough to want to sit most of my weeks in one of those stylish rides...maybe the T600s they have are better, or maybe I can hang some nice curtains and a potted plant, maybe a tie-dye, a couple of small persian carpets, some throw pillows and an incense burner, a couple of Grateful Dead stickers..... LOL

Anyway, the spreadsheet says they're not outright LYING.....

4. allnite

allnite Light Load Member

Jan 2, 2009
    cedar bluff,al.
    This may be an ignorant question BUT just whom is this lease with? Can you state that? This type lease is an almost WIN/WIN set up and one that one almost obligates me to investigate as i have been really thinking long and hard on a lease/purchase HOWEVER everyone is so critical of doing that.Yes I know this is the Prime thread but i thought Prime used another model of freightliner.
    Also your spreadsheet capabilities are enviable.
    Thanks

5. JahB

JahB Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2008
    WASHINGTON/OREGON border
    Pacific Cartage out of Vancouver, WA. Google them if this link doesn't come up.

http://pacificcartagecorp.com/Home_Page.html

Can't testify about them...but those are their lease costs. The trucks are as seen, or T600s all about 5 years old, you own it outright in two years. Take a look at the site, talk to them if you like, see for yourself.

Good luck, let me know what you hear from them.

allnite Thanks this.
  6. allnite

allnite Light Load Member

Jan 2, 2009
    cedar bluff,al.
    Thank you JahB for that info.i shot them an email. The terms alone make this outfit worth an email or three.There website was fairly informative.
    again thanks.

7. Lone Gray Wolf

Lone Gray Wolf Bobtail Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Montrose, MN
    Last year I did a O/O lease purchase on a 05 Volvo with a APU, and a Gen 2 warranty. My weekly payments were $375.00 and I was running 2500 plus a week. Within 6 months I had only racked up a few thousand in repairs that wasn't killing me. What did me in was a combination of what I got per mile, the price of fuel and what I was able to get for MPG. I turned it in and took the loss. It will take me years to recoup it.

allnite Thanks this.
  8. JahB

JahB Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2008
    WASHINGTON/OREGON border
    That's what I saw as the downside risk. Unless you're getting really good fuel surcharges, at $4/gal for fuel, you're gonna be hurting. At $2.32 a gallon, maybe it works.

I also had some serious questions about the veracity of their claimed per mile rate. Not all carriers want you to run their freight in a 5 yr old truck, either. Still, if fuel stays low, you get the miles they claim, and at least the low end rate, you might be able to pull it off.

As to your mpg, I think you have to govern that puppy to run at like 62-65 mph, keep your foot out of it, don't idle (APU), Run the central plains, average out your intermountain miles with the flats. (In other words, learn to drive like a Prime L/O) Spend some money up front to address/carry any iffy/old parts to avoid being taken out with repairs, and make SURE you have at least a few thousand in your maintenance account before you hit the road so that if you DO go down, you can repair and get on the road fast. And keep pounding cash into those tire and maintenance/repair accounts. At least with the lease described here, you can afford your three days of downtime per month.

All said and done, you have to run it like a business. If you don't know what that means in trucking, or you don't have the skills, drive a company truck. If you DO understand it, and can learn those skills, hell, in a couple three years, you could sell your funky old freightshaker, and be riding on of those sweet Petercars....... best of luck! :yes2557:

allnite Thanks this.
  9. farm4man

farm4man Bobtail Member

Mar 22, 2009
    boardman oh
    dude do yourself a favor and stay away from prime, im here now and we are all starving to death. they are letting us all sit and brokering thier loads out so they can show a profit its a big mess over here

allnite Thanks this.
  10. JahB

JahB Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2008
    WASHINGTON/OREGON border
    That was the point. Even a $1200/month lease on a 5 yr old truck is tough. Let alone what Prime wants.

allnite Thanks this.
  11. poorrednek

poorrednek Left Lane Gang

Oct 23, 2008
    THE DRAFT VA

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.