New Trucker Needs Help!

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by NewbieRecentGrad, Aug 10, 2007.

1. NewbieRecentGrad

NewbieRecentGrad Bobtail Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Metro Detroit, MI
    I have a few bumps & bruises on my criminal record (misdemeanors) & driving record. I've got my CDL w/ Hazmat & tanker endorsements. I just want to get my foot in the door at a decent company, get some training, and make some money. Just want to start my trucking career. Any advice of companies that offer a decent opportunity?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. leannamarie

leannamarie "California Girl"

As long as your bumps and bruises didn't happen last week, you should be fine. My boyfriend's record was really bumped and bruised, and he still had his pick of companies to choose from. I think only GTI turned him down. Just be aware that with a misdomeaner you won't be going to Canada without extra paperwork. Good luck on your search.

4. K C

K C Bobtail Member

Jul 16, 2007
    The Big Road
    If you've gotten your HazMat endorsement, you shouldn't hvae to worry about anything on a criminal record. You've obviously passed the criminal background check associated with HazMat. I would certainly point this out to anyone who has a question about your record.

If it were me, I would be up front with any company in consideration - better to get a "no" now than to run into trouble a few weeks after getting hired.

As for the "best" companies to work for, you might check out the links to good and bad companies here on the forum, including the "Trucking Company DAC Reports" that lets drivers review trucking companies.

5. bubbavirus

bubbavirus Medium Load Member

...had sticky fingers?

6. NewbieRecentGrad

NewbieRecentGrad Bobtail Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Metro Detroit, MI
    Nope. I'm not a theif and don't appreciate you insinuating that I could have been. It's not my style.

7. leannamarie

leannamarie "California Girl"

Calm down. You were the one that put out there that you had a criminal record. No one knows what your style is, but having a record for larceny can hinder a trucking career, that's all he was probably getting at.

8. Led

Led Bobtail Member

Aug 14, 2007
    WI
    I work with a lot of Guy's on Huber......Assault of some kind??

I can understand.......some NEED a good punching....but YOU are the one to ultimatly pay the piper.....

9. curtislyn

curtislyn Light Load Member

Jul 16, 2007
    Montgomery, AL

I agree. No need to get hired and get fired later for lying.

10. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    I can only speak for the gasoline tanker jobs. I have seen some companies that do hire drivers without tanker experience and with a record. But one thing you've got to understand is if you do go this way you'll have to start at the bottom and work yourself up. Almost all good tanker companies want their drivers with experience so your record most likely wont come into play until later.

The most important thing you can do is get the experience and keep your record clean. You'll do at least 2 years in the pits before you can start to see a good paycheck and good benefits. The goal that just about every gasoline tanker driver is to get hired on with the big oil companies and make big money. That's the top and I haven't seen any companies pay more or have better benefits. It's kind of like baseball, you're in the minors until called up.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.