New vs. Lease purchase trucks

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by GettingRolling, Oct 3, 2019.

1. GettingRolling

GettingRolling Light Load Member

Aug 30, 2018
    Hello all,
    I was driving along yesterday (currently a happy company driver) and over the cb heard a guy going on about making all this money being an O/O (4k@1600 miles a week) I'm assuming before expenses no way that's all profit
    Had me wondering what the big difference is between going full O/O and doing a lease through a company
    Not planning on selling my soul for a new truck just yet just very curious the pros and cons of each
    I know there are categories for these topics but most of the threads were people not being so nice to each other and didn't have alot of helpful conversation so since I'm newer I threw it on here

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Well cb talk is not always the facts..of course you know that. But 2.50 p/mile is not unheard of. Lots of times truckers talk about that 1 good week, or that 1 time they had exceptional fuel mileage. But who am i to say? Its their story..let'em tell it like they want.

meechyaboy, bzinger, D.Tibbitt and 5 others Thank this.
  4. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

HillbillyDeluxeTruck Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    The fools that yack about all the money they make are usually full of #### and dont know they're operating expenses.

A lease operator owns a truck but is leased to one carrier. These fools that lease purchase trucks are basically glorified company drivers. After that guys co takes his weekly truck payment, fuel costs and other costs for doing everything else, bet he nets a grand.

5. GettingRolling

Aug 30, 2018
    I mean there has to be a reason why people do it. Kind of like being a company driver with a bonus after a couple years you just get to keep the truck is the gist I get from it

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  6. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    They do it ( lease purchase ) because they are clueless, have horrible credit, and would never be able to purchase a truck on their own... Now they can sit at the lunch counter and claim to be owner Operators.:biggrin_2559:

rpad139, jinxutoo, D.Tibbitt and 6 others Thank this.
  7. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

There are still people buying Time-Shares. That doesn't mean it makes any financial sense at all. A ton of drivers switching from company driver to O/O or Lease driver do ZERO research. They believe the overly optimistic projections from the company and IMMEDIATELY start spending like a millionaire, then go bust.

It's a free country. Only you can protect you. Nobody else has that job. Do research like your life depends on it.

8. GettingRolling

Aug 30, 2018
    I kind of have a time share.....
    The promise of big money probably does pull newer drivers in pretty easy

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  9. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    It's not a lease purchase.

It's a flat out lease. The megas only lease their trucks. They don't purchase. And from what I've seen posted. There's no purchase possible. The trucks are traded in every 3 years. The guy getting screwed on the weekly payments has absolutely zero say. I have no idea why it's considered a lease purchase. Or why anybody could consider themselves a o/o.

What I want to know. Is how the IRS collects what they think is owed to them.

CNBC posted a story today. The IRS audits more poorer folk then rich. Because they just don't have the manpower or resources. I think it was an old article.

10. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    There is another term for lease purchase - Rent-to-Own.

You know, those shady outfits that rent you tv's and stereos and couches for a little each month, which you will own after 2 years paying 3 times the retail cost.

Those people often brag about what they 'own' as well.
    But miss a payment... then see how much you really own.

tscottme, JonJon78 and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  11. GettingRolling

Aug 30, 2018
    I worked at one of those places for a couple weeks. Had to take a TV while two kids were watching cartoons it was really sad. Made me feel like the bad guy

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.