Newbie 0 Experience with a permit

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Drea, Dec 29, 2018.

1. Drea

Drea Bobtail Member

Dec 29, 2018
    Michigan
    Hi am new to this forum. I have been looking into a few company's like Schneider also Roehl or Covenant my main choice maybe Prime but I stay in Michigan and I don't want my first year to be a disaster for me like me like not making any money or any good experience and am not saying a lot money I know as a new truck driver I wont make much I understand that I just want consistent income with good training experience because I have read and researched a lot company's that will offer you the world and in return you will get empty pockets and in places not close to home can be very scary for a women out there in that situation. So my question is should I call different company's and have multiple recruiters from different company's because I also heard that some recruiters wont call you back even if you have talk to them on the phone and filled out a app and they tell you everything is peaches and cream and you are good to go with your driving record. This is all the info that I have researched and talk to people about so this makes me very nervous about entering in the trucking field so if you guys have any info that would help me with the nervousness.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Stay away from covenant...roehl isn't a bad co, prime isn't too bad for getting experience...

Drea Thanks this.
  4. Widowmaker9172

Widowmaker9172 Light Load Member

Jun 1, 2016
    Illinois
    Hmm. Since you live in Michigan, give Roehl a call. They are a good starter company and they do have a good starter package.

I was with them for 1.5 years within the last 5.

Puppage and Drea Thank this.
  5. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    I can't speak on those companies since I've never worked for them. In my experience,the amount of money you'll make on the road is all about attitude. If you're not picky about loads, build a good relationship with your driver manager, and communicate well, you can make steady money anywhere your first year. During the training, it isn't necessarily the length of training so much as it is the trainer him/herself. Hopefully you won't get the type to yell at you which direction to turn the wheel, or go to sleep and expect you to navigate everything while that trainer sleeps.

6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    You'll be ok in trucking; don't worry. 10's of thousands of women driving these days and doing just fine.
    Roehl is probably ok, but also look at Prime refrigerated division and Jim Palmer Trucking which is coast to coast refrigerated trucking.
    [​IMG]

7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Another good choice is CFI. www.cfidrive.com
    Company-paid Tuition

With a 12-month commitment to drive for CFI, qualified students can now receive fully paid tuition to attend driving school in Missouri. We’ll even cover your room and board for the duration of the four-week course.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    CFI is proud to support female truck drivers.
    One of our very own female drivers, Stephanie Klang, was named as an ATA’s America’s Road Team Captain. Stephanie surpassed an incredible milestone of driving over three million safe miles!
    Stephanie Klang's life story and career on the road
    2017 Overdrive’s Most Beautiful Stephanie Klang
    ASK THE DRIVER: Tour of the truck

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  8. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    If your kinda close to Michigan/Ohio line. Check out this company, they will pay for your training, they run their trainer trucks as solo. So you drive at day and sleep at night. You get paid $125 per day with trainer. So you don't have to worry the mile or a slow week.
    1-6 months you get $0.36 cents per mile

7-12 months your paid $800 per week guaranteed as minimum pay or $0.38per mile but you never get less then $800 a week

12-23 months $900 a week guaranteed minimum pay or $0.40 per mile

2-3 year $1,000 a week guaranteed minimum pay or $0.41 cents per mile

No notheast, no northwest (tire chains). They run Michigan a lot.

Truck Driving School - Earn your CDL with Keller Trucking

9. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    I'm not sure if Carter Express hires in your area, but they might be able to run you on a dedicated automotive run. You will make pretty good money, get home several days a week, and be off for a month a year when the auto plant shuts down.

Vic Firth Thanks this.
  10. Vic Firth

Vic Firth Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2016
    Indiana
    Agreed check out Carter Express.

shogun Thanks this.
  11. DrFlush

DrFlush Road Train Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I would look seriously at Roehl, it has been several years but when I was there they had excellent training, and they run open deck, curtain side, van and refer fleets. When I first started there I thought I wanted to do refer, but found that open deck is the only type of trailer trucking I like, and being there I was able to try the other fleets, I had already yanked tanks. Prime had the same fleets plus tank but when I was looking into it all Prime paid less and I believe they push people to do lease purchase which I don't think anyone should get into until they have some years in the business.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.