Newbie at a career crossroads. Help!Any

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by Jmyerian, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Jmyerian

Jmyerian Bobtail Member

Feb 18, 2017
    Athens,Ohio
    Hi I just signed up. I am seriously thinking of getting my CDL and truck driving, probably through Schneider. I am 41, very single, and I haven't worked since 2013. There are no jobs here. I have some responsibilities here, but generally could be a regional trucker.

But I have a problem. In 2015 while trying to free my truck from ice, I herniated a disc. Found out my whole back is messed up from years of manual labor. I had an s1-l4 fusion one year ago and am pretty well healed. However, my doctor told me that for a man my age he has never seen a back so worn out.

I forgot to ask my doctor if truck driving would be ok. I know this isn't medical community, but, generally, what are your opinions? I am desperate for money, I know I could do it, and I know it would be somewhat enjoyable. Not always, but no job is.

Any opinions on what I should do? Thanks for patience.

flyby1971 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    As long as you can pass a DOT physical, companies will hire you.
    Millis Transfer in Trenton,OH has their own cdl school and provided meals and lodging. Drivers there say they average $50K+ per year.
    If you contact Millis, don't volunteer any information about the back, let the doctors decide. Millis will see the physical long form anyway, so you're not hiding anything, just no reason to chat about it.

Texnmidwest Thanks this.
  4. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Truck driving requires drivers to be able to raise and lower trailers open and close trailer doors do pre trips ect act and all that requires using your back.Its iffy whether the doctor says its OK for you to work in this profession.If your back is that messed up I would find another line of work.Honestly your back may get a lot worse.There's so much more to this profession then just driving trk.

5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    With a bad back, in trucking, always wear a back support belt, even when driving.
    Contract Freighters Inc. also provides training and has meals & lodging. Know very little about the company. Millis does have a real good reputation though.

6. Hegemeister

Hegemeister Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Lack of employment history may be a problem.

7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Yes, that is a problem.
    The unemployment office may have some help with cdl training.
    What kind of deal is Schneider offering?

8. Jmyerian

Jmyerian Bobtail Member

Feb 18, 2017
    Athens,Ohio
    Schneider is offering paid training to get a CDL and then a 2 year commitment. Their freight is no-touch, so I think I can do the other types of lifting associated with the job. I need to make money, yet I don't want to mess my back up anymore.

I tried to get disability and the government didn't even read my claim. They just dismissed it. Anyway, I appreciate the advice from all.

9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    No touch freight is ok, considering your back problem. Schneider is ok to get this new career started.

Jmyerian Thanks this.
  10. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    To be eligible. for dissability you have to not have worked for 5 months then it takes SSA three months of investigating your claim and liike 5 doctors they have meetings with.

Jmyerian Thanks this.
  11. Jmyerian

Jmyerian Bobtail Member

Feb 18, 2017
    Athens,Ohio
    I did all that. My claim wasn't that I hadn't a broken back. My claim was that the surgery made me so fatigued I couldn't not work. I wanted temporary disability, but oh well...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.