Newbie Entering CDL school seeking advice - Paid CDL or not? I'm in North FL

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by RussianBearTruckeR, Jul 9, 2018.

1. RussianBearTruckeR

RussianBearTruckeR Heavy Load Member

Jul 9, 2018
    Jacksonville, FL
    @Chinatown could use your advice as I see your very knowledgable on here...the :rolleyes:wiseman!

I'm near Jacksonville, FL & will be looking at either going to a CDL school & finding the best carrier to work for as a company driver or possibly taking on a Paid CDL Company but would like to gain endorsements from them if possible (seeking: Hazmat, tanker, triple/double, twic, tsa, X&T ideally) - Want to learn various manual transmissions+air brakes. I have never been inside a semi!

I found a few schools around me that have good reviews (you can't always trust google/yelp reviews, but its some sort of gauge).
    • North Florida Technical College - 320 program hours (8 weeks) - around $3k in costs (not bad at all). They don't offer any help with endorsements, classes start in mid August next - Need to have a Class A training/learning permit+DOT physical test pass before enrolling. I really would like to acquire the necessarily education to obtain the endorsements for better pay options & also to be versatile & be able to test different lanes to see what I enjoy (also hear Gov't, tanker, Hazmat freight pays real well)...

• There's Tampa Driving School+TDI - both school are only 15 days of training (which I'm very skeptical of) & costs over $4K-$5K. I haven't contacted them regarding help with endorsements yet but am not crazy about the short amount of time you spend learning to drive a very dangerous massive truck for the first time. I'm a firm believer of having a safety first mentality on the road, since there's children+family on the road as well you have to be respectful & not take road safety lightly. What are your thoughts on a 15 day (roughly 165 program hours vs 320 program hours - 8 weeks course)? I would assume the more training, the better? I do understand as a company driver you train for up to a 2 months after graduating with your CDL but still, experience is a good thing? Would appreciate your thoughts on this.

The paid CDL companies I have lined up to call serving (terminals or locations) nearby areas are: US XPRESS, Prime inc., Jim Palmer, CRST. If someone knows of better alternatives, it would be greatly appreciated. I plan on trying to gain 1 year OTR experience (dry van, flatbed, tanker if possible)...
    I'd like to have over 2500 miles a week (1,500+would be ideal) - don't mind OTR or staying out 2 weeks if need be. Good for experience as well I feel & get a true feel for the industry.

Any and all feedback from seasoned professionals is appreciated. Thank you:)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    North Florida Technical College is the best of those choices.
    Cypress Truck Lines in Jacksonville is flatbed and has their own cdl school.
    If you choose North Florida Technical College, then go with a tanker outfit at graduation. Several will hire you.

RussianBearTruckeR Thanks this.
  4. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Here's some tanker outfits that hire new cdl grads. If a website has "experience required" just ignore that because these all hire new cdl grads.
    Tidewater Transit
    Superior-Carriers
    Trimac Transportation
    McKenzie Tank Lines
    Gemini Motor Transport - delivers diesel to Love's Truck Stops.
    Schneider Bulk
    CTL Transportation
    SVTN - www.svtn.com
    Tankstar

RussianBearTruckeR Thanks this.
  5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Does your screen name relate to the Russian Bear aircraft?
    When I was in the Navy, I saw those in the air. They can fly pretty low when they buzz Navy ships.
    Tit-for tat, we did the same to Russian ships. Fun & games.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    Adieu and RussianBearTruckeR Thank this.
  6. RussianBearTruckeR

Jul 9, 2018
    Jacksonville, FL
    This forum should give you a trophy or something! I see you helping people on here all over the place - once again, greatly appreciated! :D

7. RussianBearTruckeR

Jul 9, 2018
    Jacksonville, FL
    Got nothing but respect for the military - I was born here in Florida but parents are Russian - a play on words is all! :)

Chinatown Thanks this.
  8. RussianBearTruckeR

Jul 9, 2018
    Jacksonville, FL
    They don't offer tanker endorsements, The trucker outfits would help post cdl graduates in tanker endorsement training?

9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    You get the endorsements at the Florida DMV. The school doesn't do that. Scroll to the top of this page and click on "CDL Practice Tests" and memorize as much as you can. Tanker and hazmat test & answers are on there.
    If you decide on tankers you will need a TWIC ID Card. Google for nearest TWIC office. There's probably one in Jacksonville.

Bookhacker and RussianBearTruckeR Thank this.
  10. RussianBearTruckeR

Jul 9, 2018
    Jacksonville, FL
    You are the man! Very much appreciate all this info!

Chinatown Thanks this.
  11. Spacat1

Spacat1 Light Load Member

Oct 13, 2014
    So Gemini Motor Transport will hire you right out of truck driving school for their local routes where you are home every day?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.