Newbie Entering CDL school seeking advice - Paid CDL or not? I'm in North FL

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by RussianBearTruckeR, Jul 9, 2018.

1. RussianBearTruckeR

RussianBearTruckeR Heavy Load Member

Jul 9, 2018
    Jacksonville, FL
    appreciated!

88 Alpha Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RussianBearTruckeR

Jul 9, 2018
    Jacksonville, FL
    stay safe on the road & thanks!

4. RussianBearTruckeR

Jul 9, 2018
    Jacksonville, FL
    Roadmaster is a 160 hour program course is this enough? I found a CDL school nearby that offers 320 program hours? I understand that when starting out companies also require training for a few months before beginning on your own but still what are experienced drivers thoughts on the length of cdl training time? Or will this be made up with the driving experience you get with your starting company trainer(s)...?

5. RussianBearTruckeR

Jul 9, 2018
    Jacksonville, FL
    thanks, I've bookmarked both - Shelton states
    • :argue: "Run any load asked to run.":violent3:

that seems like a company to contact & see if they're negotiable with declining freight or having dispatch make drivers rate offer, but the second company sounds somewhat similar with pay structure to LandStar with a bigger % payout for "Self-Secured Loads" I'm assuming this is if you have a Flatbed or Step Deck, either which way, good resources to know! Thanks again! :notworthy:

Chinatown Thanks this.
  6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    160 hours is the minimum to consider. I'd go for the community college or tech school before Roadmaster.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Rinaudo Enterprises in Jacksonville hires new cdl grads:
    Paid Training Available
    For Drivers completing certified driver school
    [​IMG][​IMG]

RussianBearTruckeR Thanks this.
  7. RussianBearTruckeR

Jul 9, 2018
    Jacksonville, FL
    there's a lot of negative reviews (recent ones) about Roadmaster online from various sites:crybaby::dontknow: - some flat out state to stay away...I'll still give them a call to gather info - supposedly they only train automatic transmission - I need to learn manual & preferably various transmission types...

I'll follow chinatown's instructions & hit up companies to see which cdl schools they approve of to hire :idea1:...

88 Alpha Thanks this.
  8. RussianBearTruckeR

Jul 9, 2018
    Jacksonville, FL
    Many negative things said about RoadMaster - I'm not one to speculate but when the consensus tells you to stay away, you gotta factor in that at least a few out of many are telling the truth...

Paid CDL training scares me - I feel you'll be in the companies pockets for that contract term (10-12months) & they can easily recoup their investment by paying less cpm, etc... I think obtaining your own CDL gives the driver more options+freedoms+choices, IDK - good to know all your options though!

9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient

10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    The companies also have to recoup the damage done by new drivers, bumping into things, grinding gears, scale house tickets that could have been avoided by doing a pre-trip inspection, overweight tickets because new drivers sometimes don't know how to adjust weight by sliding tandems or maybe too lazy to ask someone for help.
    Lower cpm doesn't mean much if anything. It's the accessorial pays that jack up the paycheck. A few cents per mile doesn't mean much at all.

11. RussianBearTruckeR

Jul 9, 2018
    Jacksonville, FL
    Let me know if I'm missing something when contacting recruiters to find out about their companies structure
    • CPM+AVG week miles provided
    • Any bonuses or CPM increases? structure, how often, etc...
    • Any endorsements required from the drivers?
    • Trucks offered (are they equip't w/APU, satellite tv, WiFi, Xm radio, age of truck, do drivers get to choose the truck?)
    • Lumper Fees or who's paying for this, how much, etc. (I think driving a truck is enough of a responsibility in itself)
    • All benefits questions+fuel, tolls, scales, etc., paid for or passes provided or reimbursed?
    Am I missing anything necessary to ask?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.