Newbie Heading Out Next Week!

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by RightLaneKing, Jun 8, 2023.

1. RightLaneKing

RightLaneKing Bobtail Member

Jun 8, 2023
    I’m a new CDL holder! I finished school in April, passed my test and got my CDL. I chose Swift (I’m aware of all the jokes and I can take ‘em). Anyway, I’m heading out with my mentor on Monday. A little nervous, excited but nervous, particularly about my backing. Backing skills practice in school is kind of a joke. As you guys all know there’s a big difference between backing between cones on the ground in an empty lot and bumping a dock or backing between a couple rigs at a truck stop. I’d love any advice you might have for a newbie!

Lonesome, bryan21384 and LoneRanger Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Take your time and don't let anyone hurry you. Anyone.
    You'll make mistakes, everyone does. Learn from them, own them, and don't let them defeat you.

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Swift is a good company to get started with.

Stonehjl, Opus and born&raisedintheusa Thank this.
  5. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    Always get out and look.

good luck.

Grumppy Thanks this.
  6. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    @RightLaneKing --

Many times, as a driver.....you will find yourself backing the trailer into a "hole"....that is either unlit--or very poorly lit.

This is a beautiful setup for trouble....especially with an inexperienced driver. o_O

Suggestion: before backing into said dark "hole"....use magnetic, rechargeable LED flashlights....and attach them to each side of the trailer somewhere, or...if there are no magnetic points/areas on the trailer (as is the case with many newer dry van or reefer trailers)...use the trailer's rear bumper (sometimes called the "Mansfield bar"...after the late actress, Jane Mansfield)...to attach these lights.

The difference then is nothing short of amazing. :eek:

The bottom line: never back into anything where you can't first see what's there--and how close your trailer is to everything else there (or nearby).

-- Lual

hope not dumb twucker Thanks this.
  7. Sixela918

Sixela918 Light Load Member

Nov 24, 2021
    Phoenix, AZ
    As far as backing goes: try to think of it as you're driving the FRONT of the trailer - the truck is just the tool to move the front of the trailer. Need front to move left, turn left etc.

8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  9. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    Solid advice.

-- Lual

Grumppy and born&raisedintheusa Thank this.
  10. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    upload_2023-6-8_20-11-5.jpeg

Just kidding!
    Congratulations on getting your CDL!

Got no problems with Swift drivers at all and seen more than a few with some impressive backing skills. For me, Prime Inc stands out as the lazy unskilled bums out on the road.

Only advice I got for backing is turn off all the distractions and roll both windows down..unless it’s pouring rain. This will allow you to hear the screams and twisting metal :)

Good luck out there!

11. RightLaneKing

RightLaneKing Bobtail Member

Jun 8, 2023
    Thanks guys for all the sound advice. I’ll remember to put it all into practice. Definitely gonna invest a few bucks in a couple good lights.

It’s funny that Concorde mentioned rolling down the windows because the first time I backed by myself at school it was freaking pouring rain. My instructor was walking along side the truck guiding me and I couldn’t see a #### thing through the windows let alone the windows and mirrors. I cracked the window and started whining and making excuses for my piss poor job and he told me the same thing and it helped. Every since then rain or shine, warm or freezing the windows come down!

When it comes to being a Swifty it seems like a pretty decent starter company. After my research I discovered that all the companies that’ll hire newbies are pretty much all the same. I chose Swift because they have the most accounts and I figure that’ll mean they’ll keep me running the most. Also believe it or not the time training with the “mentor” was actually the longest (minimum 4 weeks) and that’s what I realize I’m gonna need. I’m in absolutely no hurry to get out on my own. I wanna take my time and make #### sure I’m confident and ready. The Swift recruiter was very honest about the training time and I appreciated that. The other company I seriously considered (Roehl) it felt like their recruiter was rushing me and just telling me what he thought I wanted to hear. He was like “ training will be a couple weeks and you’ll get your own truck” as if it was just an afterthought. Immediate red flags were flying for me. So even though the cpm was a little higher with Roehl, I chose Swift. I tend to trust my gut when I make big decisions and my gut was telling me to play the long game, go with the best training program. What good is 2cpm more pay if they’re rushing me out there and I start tearing s$&t up because I’m not ready. My ultimate goal with any starter company is a good year or two without hitting anything then plenty a doors will open up for me to find the right place to finish out my last 15-18 years before I retire.

Now that doesn’t mean I don’t get a laugh out of all the Swift memes and acronyms lol! My wife is getting a kick out of em as well. She was sending me stuff while I was at orientation. My particular favorite is Swift…See What I F’up Today!

Thank you guys!

Jamie01 and hope not dumb twucker Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.