Newbie looking to buy flatbed, What to look for?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Doughboy18, May 23, 2019.

1. Doughboy18

Doughboy18 Light Load Member

Jan 27, 2019
    Im sure many will have something to say, but basically im looking to get into flatbed. I have been running dry van, but I feel its kind of basic and would like to add to my resume. Have no experience, but I have a few friends who run flat to look to for help. And just a little background, I never worked for a company. I got my license by going to, I guess you would call it fly by night school, Bought a truck & trailer cash and started my own authority. Besides getting my truck stolen I have been running successfully. My driving experience stemmed from driving for MTA (NY City Bus). Quick learner, and lot of things for me are self taught with the help of reading and watching videos. Back to whats important.

I Pretty much run out of newyork, so the easiest and convenient loads are garbage and I can always find something coming back in. Don't want to run garbage in a dry van because most the products I pick up is food grade.

I'm looking to start out with something basic, 48ft, aluminum, spread axle regular flat. Just looking for some tips on what brands to go for and stay away from, what to look for in general and what to avoid. Should I go 53, etc... Have my eyes on a 2014 Great Dane flat. they want 22k for it

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I like trailers with a lot of tie down points, chains and sliding winches on both sides.
    If I thought I would be tarping much at all, I also like tarp hooks on them.
    Unless you think you may need the extra length, I would stay with a 48, but for sure 102X48 and not a 96.
    I would also look at the weight and prefer combos myself over straight steel or aluminum.
    I have a wilson and in my opinion, they are hard to beat for an OO.

Oh yea boxes under the trailer are a must unless you can store a lot of gear on your truck.

Dino soar and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  4. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Great advice. I'd add that if he is looking for aluminum, make sure the bow of the trailer hasn't flattened out.

5. Doughboy18

Jan 27, 2019
    Thanks. trailer imm looking at is coming from great western leasing. ill ask to take picks of the toe down points and if it has hooks for tarps. its a combo with aluminum floor

6. Doughboy18

Jan 27, 2019
    can you elaborate on that. what is the bow of the trailer

7. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Aluminum trailers have an arch in them. 20190122_104325.jpg

highwayMike and ChevyCam Thank this.
  8. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    All trailers have an arch in them, some more than others. I do not like the high arches of some of the aluminum trailers, myself. It causes problems on some light loads.
    I would look long and hard at the underside of it, all the crossmembers and such for rust, also look at all the structural hangers for the suspension for rust,cracks and so on. both rust and cracks can lead to being a money pit.

Dino soar and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  9. Doughboy18

Jan 27, 2019
    Ahhh. Ok ok. I did notice that arch when watching empty flatbeds running

10. Doughboy18

Jan 27, 2019
    Another thing to ask pics of . Might just end up looking for a more local flatbed

11. Doughboy18

Jan 27, 2019
    Any input on Dorsey and transcraft, reitouner flatbeds. I’m seeing New Years available in my price range

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.