Newbie question. Probably been asked before.

Discussion in 'Australian Truckers Forum' started by mesmer, Oct 5, 2012.

1. mesmer

mesmer Bobtail Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Hi there guys, I was looking for some opinions on an idea I've been thinking about. I've been driving for nearly 30 years back in the UK, lots of 7.5 ton experience. My partner and I migrated from Glasgow to Perth WA last January. I was thinking about getting my HR license, White card and maybe forklift. Before I do that, and bearing in mind the likely expense of doing it, would there be much chance of actually finding any work? I'm in Mandurah.

If I go for my HR license will I need to sit a theory test first and can anyone recommend a local trainer to me? Please feel free to PM me if there's any I should avoid!

I'm 46 so not a youngster, but on the other hand I do have driving experience. I was thinking about maybe bulk runs Mandurah to Bunbury or Albany maybe? Could that be realistic?

It's just an idea at the moment, any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Alan

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tow Bandit

Tow Bandit Bobtail Member

Jul 28, 2012
    I have done my HC licence four times due to moving around the world. HR is waste of time so go for HC. Plenty of work and gives you the chance to get experience for MC. You had the old UK licence that gave you to 7.5 tonnes, correct? Get proof of driving and take to Dept Transport and see if they will allow you to get HC. White card can be done on internet and forklift licence can be done through company at their expense. The only thing you will have to get used too is the dinosaur gearbox, roadranger. A must for the test.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.