Newbie Questions For W & S

Discussion in 'Watkins & Shepard' started by CAGEtrucker, May 29, 2010.

1. Visionary

Visionary Bobtail Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Orlando, Fl
    Hi Chralb!

Thanks for the link. I found a number for recruiting and I'll ask for Roxie. Looks like the NC terminal might work for him. I wonder if Raleigh is considered close enough to the Conover terminal.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. chralb

chralb Road Train Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Where the truck is
    It's Chris and I'm glad you found the info.

Don't quote me here (I've dealt with SO many carriers in my search) but I think you have to be within a 70 mile radius of a terminal. Roxi can confirm or deny that...LOL

Best of luck and best wishes!!

Chris

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  4. CAGEtrucker

CAGEtrucker Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Somewhere, AZ
    I was there 2 months ago, I spent 3 months sifting through these postings, narrowing down to companies I felt were good for mine and my families needs. It is very hard to decide.

5. chralb

chralb Road Train Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Where the truck is

Yeah, I've been at this (not on this forum until recently) for almost 7 months now...lol

I like all I've been able to find about W/S and I feel it's a good place for me to get in and establish myself. I'm actually hopeful I'll find I can just stay there a very long time.

I have a question for you. I'm being asked on another thread to post my day by day experiences with W/S like you did. Only I'm not sure if I should bring my laptop as I fear it's safety while I'm there.

Obviously you seemed to mange it OK so did you find the hotel safe enough to leave it while you were in orientation?

Thanks and I hope the two months out have been profitable for you.

6. Warpdrvr

Warpdrvr Heavy Load Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Corona, CA
    Dunno where you are going, but Missoula has rooms that you and your roommate have keys to, so it's locked up when you aren't there. I took mine with me and had no issues. In Missoula, the rooms are onsite, right upstairs from the training room and almost attatched to the drivers lounge, so you can meet some drivers and get some good real world info from them..

As for being close to a terminal, I'm pretty sure it's 120 miles, unless it's changed

7. Mtdad68

Mtdad68 Bobtail Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Hiya Chris, No Saun and I are doing our 10 day in Missoula. He lives in Kalispell and I live about an hour away in Ronan. As far as company's to start out with, Saun and I pretty much had it narrowed down to here or Werner. Speaking for myself anyway the deciding factor for me pretty much were the other W/S drivers on this site. For the most part everyone seemed pretty happy with the company and with each other. Have you seen the "whats your 20?" thread here? I felt like they seemed like a decent bunch of folks to go too work with. Its difficult too decide on your first trucking company for me anyway, I wanted a spot that I could put some time into and actually have a positive experience with. As far as the recruiters go, Roxie and Christy have been great with us, no B.S. just gave us straight answers too our questions and told us what they needed from us. I was pretty surprised about how painless the whole prehire process really was. Anyhow hope too see you and these other guys out on the road here in a couple of weeks, good luck too you and keep in touch.

8. CAGEtrucker

CAGEtrucker Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Somewhere, AZ
    I stayed at the terminal in Missoula, no hotel. I had my laptop in the room the whole time. During the day in class I would put my laptop under the mattress or in my suitcase, never had an issue.

9. chralb

chralb Road Train Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Where the truck is
    Oh that's right. Sorry Cage...my bad.

I'm still pondering whether to bring mine or not. It really has a lot of my life on it and as of now, I could never afford to replace it should something happen. I thought I might bring my mico-cassette recorder and just take notes each day. Then I could just start my thread once I was in my truck.

So...a question or two...or three...four....LOL

I was told to just bring the clothes, bedding and personal care items to orientation and not all my tools and "hardware items" like cooler etc.. because they said I might get a truck in NC and be dispatched a load back to the NJ terminal where I could go home and get all that to load in the truck.

Is that pretty much what you did?

My goal from the start many months ago was to be an OTR dry van driver. I got out of my 30 year building business back in 07 as I've beat myself up pretty good over the years.

Will I have to do loading and unloading or pretty much drop & hook?

I know the cpm is rather low but I've read the miles are good and pretty steady.

Has that been your experience?

Thanks in advance Cage. You've been such a great help in my decision making to this point.

10. Mike_NC

Mike_NC Medium Load Member

Aug 6, 2009
    North Carolina
    You will unload from time to time, especially if you pull some furniture out of Conover. Pier One loads out of Washington are also a real joy to do. Pack only what you need, they will get you back home to pack up your truck.

11. chralb

chralb Road Train Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Where the truck is

Bummer...LOL would have been nice to meet you guys but as you say, I'm sure we'll cross paths at some point. Yes, I have read the What's Your 20 thread but since I don't yet work for them, I thought it wouldn't be right to post there. When I get a truck, I will.

I'm really hoping to make a long time run with these folks. I really don't want to be a job hopper and I hope to stay and grow with them over time.

All my best to you guys and be safe!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.