Newbie to tank hauling(hot asphalt oil)

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by walstib, Aug 2, 2012.

1. walstib

walstib Darkstar

I have to say there's an adjustment to my driving with asphalt...We're always loading to 80K, which isn't new to me but you can really feel that 50k pounds of fluid back there...It's not like the sloshing of beer in cans!...Route is from North Bend, OH to parts of Louisville...The biggest change has been turning...I'm probably over-paranoid in regard to a rollover and know that's not a "bad thing"...I realize paranoid is good with this as it keeps you cautious and vigilant..I also realize with experience it'll come down to normal paranoia levels...Lastly I have had to change what I used to consider my "point of no return" when it comes to red lights and re-develop a higher level of patience I haven't had to use in a quite a while...One of the best parts of this is I get to run the load and unload process so I have no wait times!....

Sadly, it can be dangerous at times as it seems everyone has a scar from a burn(product is 330-350F), so I'm trying my best to be careful and stay covered up...Just wanted to chime in with my initial observations hauling tankers...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    You are getting pretty full with 80 K or you should be, sloshing is nowhere near as noticeable as milk or water or juice in a smooth bore. I know it's also a smooth bore, but it is a bigger tank for material that is light by comparison. The guys pulling diesel were the ones rolling most often at the place I ran at for a short stint. The full round isn't as easily upset as the oblong on turns.

You have to stand up by the hatch when loading at most of those places, and it does splash, I did 3 weeks and had Asphalt Cement on everything I owned in the truck. Good luck with it, and wear the gear, those burns are nasty. At least I didn't get any burn scars from the loads I hauled.

walstib Thanks this.
  4. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    Remember that your tank is sized to be relatively full at max payload.

Yes it is fluid and will impart the feeling of motion but is not climbing around the sides like a partial load. That is the stuff that causes rollovers, small amounts of heavy stuff climbing the side of the tank raises the center of gravity.

When I was a trainer I taught everyone to slow down before the turns and to aim to be 1/2 or less than the posted speed for exit ramps.

You already understand how it affects stopping; smoothe is the way to go.

Watch out if you ever load 'cutback' where the asphault is thinned.
    The thinner viscosity will make the laod feel like it is moving more.
    Let it jiggle! If you start fighting that motion you will get in trouble.

walstib Thanks this.
  5. Logan76

Logan76 Crusty In Training

Jul 12, 2009
    kittanning, PA
    When I pull liquid I'm always feathering everything, I'm easy on and off the throttle and shift smooth and keep your Rpms low and try to use progressive shifting when starting from a dead stop to try to keep yourself from getting beat up by the surge.

walstib Thanks this.
  6. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt

Always cover up , no matter how hot it is. Thick cotton is best ,jeans and sweat shirt just throw them away once they get spotted . Starting fluid will get the stringers and spots off your truck. Just don't store it in the cab and be careful when using it. Don't knock your self out! lol

7. walstib

walstib Darkstar

I appreciate all the info!...

8. tw1005tx

tw1005tx Light Load Member

Feb 24, 2011
    I worked years ago for a tanker outfit we hauled most stuff that would go in a tank, as far as sloshing sulfuric acid was the worst, the main safety concern was unloading it was under pressure get it hooked up and get away from it and get out of the rubber suit, 5 min in hot weather and you were soaked and felt cold when unsuited.

walstib Thanks this.
  9. Logan76

Logan76 Crusty In Training

Jul 12, 2009
    kittanning, PA
    We haul caustic and it sloshes a little bit.

10. bubbanbrenda

bubbanbrenda Road Train Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Middletown,Oh.
    I am leased to LTC and have pulled asphalt out of N.Bend. Most newer aspalt trailers have 3 baffles, our newer ones have 5,they still slosh a little but nothing like smooth bore.If you go to Marathon you will be required to wear nomex sleeves over your long sleeve shirt

11. Derailed

Derailed Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I use to haul asphalt when i was an O/O. I had an overweight permit so I would fill them right to the lid grossing out around 102k, wasnt a whole lot of sloshing goin on :). One thing you want to make real sure of coming into this time of year at least here in the northeast is that you make darn sure you flush that pump out real good. That stuff sets up like a rock on cold nights.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.