Newbie trucker, looking for info with TMC

Discussion in 'TMC' started by moparbob, Apr 11, 2017.

1. moparbob

moparbob Bobtail Member

Apr 11, 2017
    Hey everybody, I will be a newbie trucker here in a couple of weeks, I am going to do the TMC CDL training. My background is in IT and really cant find any work and decided to give this a try. I have a few questions, I will be asking in stages.

First, how do you guys eat for ORT? Do you always eat at truck stops for breakfast and dinner or you have a microwave and/or a fridge and just make simple things?

I also don't know how I am going to handle being away from home all the time. I am a nerd and enjoy my nerd things such as TV, movies, and video games.

Please let me know what you guys think.

Thanks everybody.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dptrucker

dptrucker Road Train Member

May 14, 2012
    adelanto,ca.
    As far as eating it depends what your company allows on the truck. Buying anything from truckstops is expensive. If you are not good being alone then you might have issues going otr. The lifesyle takes its toll on some.

4. joesmoothdog

joesmoothdog Heavy Load Member

Aug 5, 2013
    OTR
  5. Hsauer87

Hsauer87 Light Load Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Parkton , North Carolina
    I drive for tmc I have a fridge and microwave, my wife freezes leftovers throughout the week that I eathink the following week for dinner. Cereal for breakfast

My truck also has satalite tv and my ps4 when I find the time to play or watch is a different story

6. moparbob

moparbob Bobtail Member

Apr 11, 2017
    Great info, sounds like my kind of truck.

I start my CDL training next Monday, can't wait. Never drove anything big so I hope I can do it.

So I been reading that there is no APU, so how hurt or help you? I like to sleep in lower temps and don't know about the summer.

7. Hsauer87

Jun 15, 2012
    Parkton , North Carolina

If your hot run the truck, keep in mind the more you idle the less mpg you will get, in turn leads to less performance points therfore less % can be anywhere from 25%-33% most guys sit at about 30. And when you are solo you won't have time to game or TV too much of you and tmc are doing their jobs correctly

8. Hsauer87

Jun 15, 2012
    Parkton , North Carolina
    The mpg points change month to month , and it goes off the fleet average, so when it is summer the mpg standard does go down with everyone idling a bit more

9. moparbob

moparbob Bobtail Member

Apr 11, 2017
    Do the trucks have GPS and how good are they? Would it be better to buy a good one?

10. Hsauer87

Jun 15, 2012
    Parkton , North Carolina
    The Qualcomm does an okay job with GPS , but I run a rand McNally GPS made for truckers and so do most people can cost us from 200-400 bucks depends what model you buy.

DoubleO7 Thanks this.
  11. Highway Sailor

Highway Sailor Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Erie,Pa.
    I used my Qualcomm once.....It wanted to send me on a restricted road. I used a random McNally all the time never used the Qualcomm again. Get yourself a truck attles, good gps, and use Google maps and you will be fine. On the load screen they will give you directions to where your going. You can reference them with all of the above-mentioned.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.